Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script has to run until the status value is updated Post 302970072 by kshji on Friday 1st of April 2016 11:45:06 AM
Old 04-01-2016
Example forever loop and if status is 0, then break the loop. Case is nice command to use string comparing.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# or ksh
while true
do
      # your db code here
      # after that:
      case "$STATUS" in
            0) break ;;   # break loop
            4) echo "status 4" ;;
            NOT*YET*RUN) echo "status not yet" ;;
            #....
             *)  echo "other status $STATUS" ;;
       esac
       sleep 10  # sleep 10 sec and poll again
done
echo "Done"

This User Gave Thanks to kshji For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking exit status of a shell script

Hi, I have tried with the following code; if ;then echo "Failure." else echo "Success." fi to test the exit status of the test.ksh shell script. But whatever is the exit status of the test.ksh shell script Failure. is always printed. Please help. regards, Dipankar. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdipankar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trigger a script based on the run status of another scipt

Im a newbee.. I have a script which runs few times daily. I want to write another script which should pick up the latest log generated from the last run of the first job and trigger a thrid script if the first script runs successfuly. Please help... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Athena
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return status after run the shell script

Hello, I wanted to delete all files which are placed 14 days back. Here is my below script. My script works very well and it deletes all files 14 days back. I wanted to display message incase if the delete script is not successful. The below script returns always successful. But the directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job Status for running shell script

Hello, I am running a shell script whose execution often takes several hours to complete. Is there way I can get some kind of status update as the job is running? Something as simple as the start and the current time stamp. Thanks, Gussi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Email Status shell script

I have written a bash script to to sort the data from logs i need some help in printing the outputs , i dont have much ideas in bah scripting. Sample script ----------------------- #!/bin/bash a=`date | cut -d " " -f2,2,3` cat /var/log/maillog |grep "$a" |grep -E -e 'deferred|bounced'... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimaxlin
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Exit Status of shell script

I have a script named check which will read the content of a file and check wether those files exist in the current directory. If so it will have the exit status of 0, otherwise it will have 1. check script: #!/bin/bash if ; then #Check there is enough command line parameters. exit 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inner script run and its exit status

Main Script #!/bin/ksh echo "Maimn script" ./clocal/www/web-data/WAS/WebSphere7/scripts/DealerLocator/Scripts/secondscript.ksh echo "$? = status" Sdecond Script #!/bin/ksh echo "In second SCript" exit 1 Output: Maimn script ./testmain.ksh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)