Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Wtmpx File Permissions Question Post 302970055 by Derk Berk on Friday 1st of April 2016 04:05:15 AM
Old 04-01-2016
I see, thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete entry in file "wtmpx"(/var/adm/wtmpx)

Do someone know how to delete entry(some lines) in file "wtmpx" that command "last" use it. this file is binary so I cannot edit directy. ========================= #last root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:04 still logged in root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:01 - 22:02 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmpx file

Hello everybody: the wtmpx file on my Sol8 machine, got so big (2GB), that my root partition is almost full now, can I empty that file, I read about it that it contains database of user access and auditing, so in case I emptied it will it affect my system?? Thanks alot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
3 Replies

3. Solaris

wtmpx file is too big

Hi, I am using Sun Solaris 5.9 OS. I have found a file called wtmpx having a size of 5.0 GB. I want to clear this file using :>/var/adm/wtmpx. My query is, would it cause any problem to the running live system. Could anyone suggest the best method to clear the file without causing problem to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wtmpx file is not updating

Hi in my solaris 9 system wmptx file is not updating so it is not recording any login or logout or any other entry. can any one tell me how to solve this problem (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
0 Replies

5. Solaris

wtmpx file

What could possibly happen if wtmpx file got deleted by mistake? Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
8 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Permissions question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Don't understand this problem: The question is the unix command chmod 754 file3 would yield the same permissions as: I put: chmod u=rwx, g=rx, o=r file3 correct answer was : chmod u+rwx, g=rx, o=r file3 I guess im asking for what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austing5
1 Replies

7. Solaris

WTMPX File corrupted

Hi All I work on solaris 8, 9 and 10 platforms and have encountered an error which is my wtmpx files appear to be corrupted as all entries contain the date 1970 (the birth of unix). Now this is obviously not the case, so my query is: 1 - Can the existing wtmpx files be manipulated to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drestarr96
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not logging ftp connections in /var/adm/wtmpx file (in last command output)

Hi all, I have F5 load balancer on my system and checking service status by opening an ftp session in every 30 seconds. These ftp sessions are being logged in /var/adm/wtmpx and filling up the file. when i run the last command most of the output is this ftp session. I was wondering if there is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cepxat
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Something is removing/deleting my wtmpx file?

hi, we have a solaris 10 box that was handled by a different sysadmin before & now it is turned over to us for system administration. our concern is that if we issue the "last" command, it usually says "wtmp begins current day current month date 02:30". just like this "wtmp begins Thu Mar 7... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: booghaw
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting information from the wtmpx file

Hi, I tried running the command "last" in the server to check the users that were last logged into the system. However, I get this error : root@csidblog:# last /var/adm/wtmpx: Value too large for defined data type How do I proceed to get this info? I read some forums suggesting to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
acl(2)								System Calls Manual							    acl(2)

NAME
acl() - set a file's Access Control List (ACL) information (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call is used to manipulate ACLs on JFS file system objects. pathp points to a path name naming a file. nentries specifies how many ACL entries are pointed to by aclbufp. aclbufp is a pointer to the first element of an array of This type is defined in as follows: The values for are: Permissions for the owner of the object. Permissions for additional users. Permissions for members of the owning group of the object. Permissions for members of additional groups. Maximum permissions granted to the file group class. Permissions for other users. Default permissions for the object owner. Default permissions for additional users. Default permissions for members of the owning group of the object. Default permissions for members of additional groups Default maximum permissions granted to the file group class. Default permissions for other users. cmd The following values for cmd are available: nentries ACL entries, specified in buffer aclbufp, are stored in the file's ACL. Any existing ACL on the file is replaced by the new ACL. All directories in the path name must be searchable. Buffer aclbufp is filled with the file's ACL entries. Discretionary read access to the file is not required, but all directo- ries in the path name must be searchable. The number of entries in the file's ACL is returned. Discretionary read access to the file is not required, but all directories in the path name must be searchable. For command the call will succeed if and only if all of the following are true: There is exactly one entry each of type and If pathp points to a directory, there is at most one entry each of type and Entries of type or do not contain duplicate entries. A duplicate entry is one of the same type containing the same numeric ID. If the ACL contains no entries of type and no entries of type then the entries of type and have the same permissions. If the ACL contains no entries of type and no entries of type and an entry of type is specified, then an entry of type is also spec- ified and the two entries have the same permissions. Security Restrictions The value for cmd can only be executed by a process that has an effective user ID equal to the owner of the file, or by the superuser, or by a user with the privilege. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: n Successful completion. Returns the number of ACL entries for cmd and Successful completion. Returns for cmd Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, the ACL is unchanged, and is set to one of the following values: The caller does not have access to a component of the path name. cmd is not or cmd is and nentries is less than the number of mandatory ACL entries(4). cmd is and the ACL specified in aclbufp is not valid [see above discussion, and aclsort(3C)]. A disk I/O error has occurred while storing or retrieving the ACL. cmd is and the effective user ID of the caller does not match the owner of the file, and the caller is not the superuser or a user with privilege. A component of the path does not exist. cmd is and nentries is less than the number of entries in the file's ACL. cmd is and there is insufficient space to store the ACL. cmd is and nentries is greater than which is defined in A component of the path specified by pathp is not a directory. cmd is and an attempt is made to set a default ACL on a file type other than a directory. cmd is the file specified by pathp resides on a local non-JFS file system, and additional entries were specified in the ACL. cmd is the file specified by pathp resides on a non-local file system, and additional entries were specified in the ACL. cmd is and the file specified by pathp resides on a file system that is mounted read-only. aclbufp points to an illegal address. SEE ALSO
aclsort(3), getacl(1), setacl(1), privileges(5). acl(2)