Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Can't stop/restart postfix - pid associated with another process Post 302969338 by stevie_velvet on Monday 21st of March 2016 06:52:59 PM
Old 03-21-2016
Can't stop/restart postfix - pid associated with another process

This issue could happen to any other service but in this case its commssioning Postfix - it seems i can't stop postfix as the PID relates to another service - i've delete the 'master.lock' but to no available - any ideas, memeory commands etc ?
thanks in advance
ps. the serve is in Production so i have to proceed with cautio n

......................................................................................

Code:
server1 init.d]# ./postfix status
master (pid  2370) is running...

[root@server1 init.d]# ps -ef | grep 2370
root      2370  2341  0  2015 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event0

[/var/lib/postfix] cat master.lock
[root@server1 postfix]# service postfix stop
Shutting down postfix:                                     [FAILED]

...rm master.lock....

[root@server1 postfix]# service postfix start
[root@server1 postfix]# service postfix status
master (pid  2370) is running...

[/var/lib/postfix]
# ls -l
total 0

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 03-21-2016 at 09:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Postfix Restart

I am really really new on UNIX system. I am trying to update our e-mail list. I added/deleted new members at etc/aliases but e-amil always got old e-mail lists. I reloaded postmaster but does not seem to be working. Anybody has any idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
4 Replies

2. SuSE

Restart process

I have a process that gradually eats up memory, it's currently at 80.2% and slowing down the linux server > ps aux | grep SNMPME root 3129 0.0 80.2 3591752 2480700 ? Sl Feb13 5:04 /opt/nampe/lib/snmpme/SNMPME config/startup.xml Is there a command I can execute to restart this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
3 Replies

3. AIX

How to start/stop/restart NFS on AIX

Hi, Very new to aix How to start/stop/restart NFS on AIX thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Log 'syslog start/stop/restart' messages

How can I tell my syslog.conf to log "syslog start/stop/restart" messages on a Solaris box? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunnyK
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Stop Restart

I'm wondering how I should make a script that can start, stop, and restart another script. What I need to be able to do, is start and stop a perl script from the command line. The easiest way of doing this seems to be to have another script, starting and stopping the other script. I have BASH,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bakes
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop/Start vs. Restart

Is there any functional difference between: issuing separate stop/start commands like this; super (handler) (instance) stop super (handler) (instance) start versus issuing a single recycle command like this; super (handler) (instance) restart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newbix
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to restart process

HI, I am trying to write a scrip which would restart active process. This is what i have written till now. $ xms show pr PRESE.* NAME STATUS ROLE PID RSTRTS STARTED MACHINE... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Unable to mailx new $pid for a script restart

Ill try to make this brief: I am trying to get the script below to run another script defined as BATNAM. The script runs fine, does what i designed it to do, however... I would like it to mailx the NEW $pid that was restarted. This script is supposed to go in crontab as root, and run by... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i restart a process if it fails?

Hi Guru's, I just want to have an idea on how to restart a particular step when it fails? SCENARIO we have plenty of steps such as the following below: Step 1 copy file from source to target location which is in a different server. Step 2 create initial and incremental process ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
4 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_POSTFI(7) 					OCF resource agents					   OCF_HEARTBEAT_POSTFI(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_postfix - Manages a highly available Postfix mail server instance SYNOPSIS
postfix [start | stop | monitor | meta-data | validate-all] DESCRIPTION
This script manages Postfix as an OCF resource in a high-availability setup. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
binary Full path to the Postfix binary. For example, "/usr/sbin/postfix". (optional, string, default /usr/sbin/postfix) config_dir Full path to a Postfix configuration directory. For example, "/etc/postfix". (unique, optional, string, no default) parameters The Postfix daemon may be called with additional parameters. Specify any of them here. (optional, string, no default) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 20s. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 20s. reload Suggested minimum timeout: 20s. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 20s. Suggested interval: 60s. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 20s. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5s. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a postfix resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive p_postfix ocf:heartbeat:postfix op monitor depth="0" timeout="20s" interval="60s" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/postfix_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents UNKNOWN 03/09/2014 OCF_HEARTBEAT_POSTFI(7)