Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 3digit block separated by a dot and a hyphen Post 302969198 by Aia on Saturday 19th of March 2016 01:43:47 PM
Old 03-19-2016
Would that work?
Code:
printf "%.3s.%.3s.%.3s-%.2s\n" $RANDOM, $RANDOM, $RANDOM, $RANDOM
141.470.200-20

This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of hyphen in #! line

In one script i have seen - in #! line can somebody explain the meaning of -(hyphen) here #! /bin/sh - (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a hyphen every 2 characters of every line

I have a text file like this with hundreds of lines: >cat file1.txt 1027123000 1027124000 1127125000 1128140000 1228143000 > all lines are very similar and have exactly 10 digits. I want to separate the digits by twodigit and hyphens....like so, > 10-27-12-30-00 10-27-12-40-00... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hyphen char after shebang notation

Hi, I have a trivial question to ask, I am seeing in some shell scripts the '-' (hyphen) character following the first line of shell script (i.e) the shebang notation as follows: #!/bin/sh - #! /bin/bash - what does the hyphen signify? What will happen if it is not given explicitly? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the last hyphen

I want to check for more than one hyphen and then hold the first one and delete the rest of the hyphen. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)\1/\1/' but this doesn't work. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)-\1/ \1/g' but here the script delete all the hyphen. I want to go from this : I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace first hyphen

How do I use awk to replace the first hyphen of a specific record? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Comma separated values to space separated

Hi, I have a large number of files which are written as csv (comma-separated values). Does anyone know of simple sed/awk command do achieve this? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 AM ---------- Guess I asked this too soon. Found the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple block of lines in one comma separated line

Hi Everyone, On my Linux box I have a text file having block of few lines and this block lines separated by one blank line. I would like to format and print these lines in such a way that this entire block of lines will come as single comma separated line & again next block of lines in next... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacing a substring containing a hyphen

I'm attempting to replace a substring that contains a hyphen and not having much success, can anyone point out where i'm going wrong or suggest an alternative. # echo /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow | sed -e 's|vm888-clone|qaz|g' /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a hyphen between two delimiters using sed

Hey guys, I have a file that is delimited by | and I am trying to write a sed command to convert this: abc|def||ghi|jkl||||mnop into this: abc|def|-|ghi|jkl|-|-|-|mnop The output I am getting out of: sed -e "s/+//g" /tmp/opt.del > /tmp/opt2.del is like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deleting directory with leading hyphen in name

I asked this question last month in Stack Exchange (linux - delete directory with leading hyphen - Server Fault) and none of the answers supplied worked. I have somehow created a directory with a leading hyphen and cannot get rid of it. # ls -li | grep p 2621441 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
RANDOM(6)							 BSD Games Manual							 RANDOM(6)

NAME
random -- random lines from a file or random numbers SYNOPSIS
random [-elrUuw] [-f filename] [denominator] DESCRIPTION
Random has two distinct modes of operations. The default is to read in lines from the standard input and randomly write them out to the standard output with a probability of 1 / denominator. The default denominator for this mode of operation is 2, giving each line a 50/50 chance of being displayed. The second mode of operation is to read in a file from filename and randomize the contents of the file and send it back out to standard out- put. The contents can be randomized based off of newlines or based off of space characters as determined by isspace(3). The default denominator for this mode of operation is 1, which gives each line a chance to be displayed, but in a random(3) order. The options are as follows: -e If the -e option is specified, random does not read or write anything, and simply exits with a random exit value of 0 to denominator - 1, inclusive. -f filename The -f option is used to specify the filename to read from. Standard input is used if filename is set to '-'. -l Randomize the input via newlines (the default). -r The -r option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -U Tells random(6) that it is okay for it to reuse any given line or word when creating a randomized output. -u Tells random(6) not to select the same line or word from a file more than once (the default). This does not guarantee uniqueness if there are two of the same tokens from the input, but it does prevent selecting the same token more than once. -w Randomize words separated by isspace(3) instead of newlines. SEE ALSO
random(3), fortune(6) HISTORY
The functionality to randomizing lines and words was added in 2003 by Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
No index is used when printing out tokens from the list which makes it rather slow for large files (10MB+). For smaller files, however, it should still be quite fast and efficient. BSD
February 8, 2003 BSD