Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Receiving: 4B436A3D 0313233216 T H fscsi0 LINK ERROR Post 302969119 by hicksd8 on Friday 18th of March 2016 07:56:43 AM
Old 03-18-2016
I was talking about the packet size at link level. The standard FC (original) max frame size is 2148 which is a 2112 payload (data handed over the bus from the OS) plus 36 bytes of frame construction (header, footer, checksum, et al) put on by the adapter in order to transmit to the target. That was always standard.

Then, because the link could become a bottle neck with packets queuing for transmission, the standard was amended to allow "jumbo" packets (basically the amalgamation of multiple packets) of up to 9000 bytes which after frame construction added 36 bytes to that giving a max frame size of 9036.

Some adapters support jumbo and some don't. Some allow you to switch on/off support in the HBA BIOS, and some don't.

Needless to say, if one HBA is supporting jumbo and the other not, then a frame can arrive that cannot be unpacked.

Now, further up the netstack (in the OS) the payload (just the data element) will be a lower number, perhaps 2048, I'm not sure. That in turn will be included inside a larger packet (perhaps 64 bytes larger) to construct the payload (2112) to be handed down to the HBA for transmission. Therefore, as I said before, the size and number of buffers allocated by the OS also plays a part in this. If the buffer size is configured too small then the incoming packets won't fit in and the packet cannot be captured and unpacked.

However, with a LINK ERROR reported (by the HBA through the hostbus to the OS) I think that the HBA's are having difficulty. Do you have any other cards of the same type on site? We cannot rule out a hardware fault with one of the HBA's. If you have spares I would certainly give it a shot.

So to answer your question, no, I don't understand how the QL is offering just 512, 1024 and 2048 as max frame size options. I'll do some research on that. Perhaps you should give QL support a call to discuss that point.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Link Edit Error, Help!!!!!

Hi, After I installed gcc on my machine and issued a command to compile a program, I did gcc -c 'prog'.c The object file was created, then I did gcc -o 'prog' 'prog'.o Then I got this error message I have been reading man pages and searching the internet but have not been able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rachael
1 Replies

2. Linux

link error problem

Dear linuxers, I'm a novice in C++ programming. I wrote a ReadFile class in file ReadFile.cpp. After that, I wrote a test.cpp, which contains a main function, to test whether my class work well. I follow the following steps to compile the ReadFile.cpp file. g++296 -c ReadFile.cpp -o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niukun
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Receiving error on Unix server-- java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: registerNatives

Hi all, This is my first shell script, so I'm hoping the problem is that I'm just missing something, and not something bigger. I have a Java application that I wrote in WSAD that reads data from an Excel file and inserts values into a DB2 database. I'm able to run it successfully in WSAD. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: loveToBlade
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why am i receiving too many argument error with this?

#!/bin/bash while do codes done it says line 2: [: too many arguments why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
4 Replies

6. Programming

g++ fails to link to static library when compilation and link in single command

Hello All, I've encountered a strange behaviour from g++ that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can shed some light on it: I have a bunch of source files and want to compile them and link them with a static library liba.a located in /usr/local/lib64 into an executable Approach 1 works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magelord
0 Replies

7. AIX

Error opening device: /dev/fscsi0

Hello, One one of my AIX boxes I'm having the following errror: fcstat fcs0: Port Speed (supported): 4 GBIT Error opening device: /dev/fscsi0 errno: 0000003d Has anyone encountered similar errors? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixn00b
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (interface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# cat /var/adm//messages Apr 20 03:10:01 Prod-App1 syslogd: line 25: WARNING: loghost could not be resolved Apr 20 08:24:18 Prod-App1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
0 Replies

10. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (insterface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages Apr 22 16:43:05 Prod-App1 in.routed: interface net0 to 172.16.101.1 turned off Apr 22 16:43:33 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link up, 1000 Mbps, full duplex Apr 22 16:43:34 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
2 Replies
tran_abort(9E)							Driver Entry Points						    tran_abort(9E)

NAME
tran_abort - abort a SCSI command SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> int prefixtran_abort(struct scsi_address *ap, struct scsi_pkt *pkt); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris architecture specific (Solaris DDI). ARGUMENTS
ap Pointer to a scsi_address(9S) structure. pkt Pointer to a scsi_pkt(9S) structure. DESCRIPTION
The tran_abort() vector in the scsi_hba_tran(9S) structure must be initialized during the HBA driver's attach(9E) to point to an HBA entry point to be called when a target driver calls scsi_abort(9F). tran_abort() should attempt to abort the command pkt that has been transported to the HBA. If pkt is NULL, the HBA driver should attempt to abort all outstanding packets for the target/logical unit addressed by ap. Depending on the state of a particular command in the transport layer, the HBA driver may not be able to abort the command. While the abort is taking place, packets issued to the transported layer may or may not be aborted. For each packet successfully aborted, tran_abort() must set the pkt_reason to CMD_ABORTED, and pkt_statistics must be OR'ed with STAT_ABORTED . RETURN VALUES
tran_abort() must return: 1 upon success or partial success. 0 upon failure. SEE ALSO
attach(9E), scsi_abort(9F), scsi_hba_attach(9F), scsi_address(9S), scsi_hba_tran(9S), scsi_pkt(9S) Writing Device Drivers NOTES
If pkt_reason already indicates that an earlier error had occurred, tran_abort() should not overwrite pkt_reason with CMD_ABORTED. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 1995 tran_abort(9E)