Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split multiple blank, even if it's blank Post 302969043 by cterra on Thursday 17th of March 2016 09:27:09 AM
Old 03-17-2016
it doesn't work, that's why i am posted here, i am not totally noob.
It give me :
Code:
SERVER2USE = qvipari1
Process =
Description =OVO
Type = Message
Status = Agent
junk = AGENT,EA              Aborted

command "read", make a variable every blank, but i need to cut every 6 blanks ...

same for awk ...

And more difficult, i can have empty variable so i need my script to see 12 blanks as 2 variables with one empty ...

Maybe it was not clear cause of the original identation, i ve modify my log, to be more comprehensible
Code:
#server        #process      #description                            #type             #status
qvipar           opcmsga     OVO Message Agent                   AGENT,EA              Aborted
qvipbc           opcmsga     OVO Message Agent                   AGENT,EA              Aborted
qvipca           perfalarm   Alarm generator                                           Stopped
qvipbd           opcmsga     OVO Message Agent                   AGENT,EA              Aborted

i think
Code:
awk -F"  +" '{print NF}' file

is close tio what i need, but i still don't understand it, i ve just seen it sometimes during my research

Last edited by cterra; 03-17-2016 at 10:55 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to delete multiple blank lines in a file?

can't figure out a way to delete multiple empty lines but keep single empty lines in a file, file is like this #cat file 1 2 3 4 5 6 - What I want is 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple search separated by blank line

hi all I want to get multiple search that are separated by blank line according to first search in text file eg: egrep 'x|Y|Z' file in that for each x...it should be seperated by blank line will u pls help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: removing blank lines from multiple files

Hi Guru's , I have a whole bunch of files in /var/tmp that i need to strip any blank lines from, so ive written the following script to identify the lines (which works perfectly).. but i wanted to know, how can I actually strip the identified lines from the actual source files ?? my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append blank line in multiple files in unix

Dear All- Please suggest a single unix command which can append blank line in multiple files. I need to achieve this using a single unix command and not a script Please do advice Regards, Suresh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on number of blank lines

Hello All , I have a file which needs to split based on the blank lines Name ABC Address London Age 32 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London Age 30 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file when value in column is blank

Hi Experts, In short : Need to split file when field in column 5 is blank and need to generate two file in which column 5 is blank and other in which column 5 has values along with other rows and column data My issue is i am not able to get header for column from raw file into new file which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
4 Replies
Agent::Message(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Agent::Message(3pm)

NAME
Log::Agent::Message - a log message SYNOPSIS
require Log::Agent::Message; my $msg = Log::Agent::Message->make("string"); $msg->prepend("string"); $msg->append("string"); my $copy = $msg->clone; print "Message is $msg "; # overloaded stringification DESCRIPTION
The Log::Agent::Message class represents an original log message (a string) to which one may prepend or append other strings, but with the special property that prepended strings aggregate themselves in FIFO order, whilst appended strings aggregate themselves in LIFO order, which is counter-intuitive at first sight. In plain words, this means that the last routine that prepends something to the message will get its prepended string right next to the original string, regardless of what could have been prepended already. The behaviour is symetric for appending. INTERFACE
The following routines are available: append($str) Append suppled string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the head of all existing appended strings. append_last($str) Append suppled string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the tail of all existing appended strings. clone Clone the message. This is not a shallow clone, because the list of prepended and appended strings is recreated. However it is not a deep clone, because the items held in those lists are merely copied (this would matter only when other objects with overloaded stringification routines were supplied to prepend() and append(), which is not the case today in the basic Log::Agent framework). make($string) This is the creation routine. prepend($str) Prepend supplied string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the tail of all existing prepended strings. prepend_first($str) Prepend supplied string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the head of all existing prepended strings. stringify This is the overloaded "" operator, which returns the complete string composed of all the prepended strings, the original string, and all the appended strings. AUTHOR
Raphael Manfredi <Raphael_Manfredi@pobox.com> SEE ALSO
Log::Agent(3). perl v5.10.0 2002-03-09 Agent::Message(3pm)