Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Ultra 5 new user
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Ultra 5 new user Post 302968816 by _JonB_ on Monday 14th of March 2016 05:16:00 PM
Old 03-14-2016
So you did, apologies! Smilie

I have lots of reading to do, clearly. I have some plans for it. I'm upgrading it with an Ultra 10 case, 1Mb RAM, 60 gig SSD and Solaris 8. I may fit a 440mhz processor card too, because it's got 2mb of L2 cache. Will see how fast it is without, first.

My problem is that, while I used Solaris and OpenDesktop professionally as a software developer, I never did any system admin. Employers didn't tend to hand root passwords to devs back then! So it's new direction for me, and a more intimate relationship with the OS.

It'll be fun... Smilie

In the meantime, thanks for your advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using a Sun Ultra 5 at work

I wouldn't call myself exactly new to Unix. I've played with Linux before so I can get around alright. I just have never really learned the basics, like setting a user's path. How do I do that on my Sun station? Obvioulsly, I've got several different bins, but I can only use the commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnell2
1 Replies

2. UNIX Benchmarks

Sun Ultra 2 Solaris 8

Sparc Ultra2: Notes prtdiag: System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Ultra 2 UPA/SBus (2 X UltraSPARC-II 296MHz) System clock frequency: 99 MHz Memory size: 768 Megabytes ========================= CPUs ========================= Run Ecache CPU CPU... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
0 Replies

3. UNIX Benchmarks

Sun Ultra 30 Solaris 8

Sun Ultra30 Solaris 8 Notes: ... Results: System -- SunOS box 5.8 Generic_108528-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30 Start Benchmark Run: Fri Sep 12 11:59:12 EDT 2003 1 interactive users. Dhrystone 2 without register variables 502087.7 lps (10 secs, 6 samples) Dhrystone 2 using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
2 Replies

4. Solaris

sun ultra or sun sparkstation

am wonder wich sun computer is better, a sun ultra or sun sparkstation, and what is the difference (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

5. Solaris

sun ultra

Hi Guys, I have a 2nd hand Sun ultra-5, I wanted to know how to be able to run it as a normal window. I do not have any experience whatsoever with solaris/unix. Does anyone can give me a clue where to start. When I switch it goes to: unix console login: pa$$word: #UNIX sendmail : enable to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lingosa
0 Replies

6. Solaris

hey i just got a Sun ultra 5!!!

now what do i do? im looking at it and i booted it after a bunch of code i got a line askign for the password i also downloaded solaris 10 any advice on how to install it? (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: russian460
36 Replies

7. Solaris

sun ultra 10 workstation

Hi All, I bought a sun workstation from ebay. Can I replace the cd-rom drive with a dvd-rom drive with any type? I mean, can I just buy a dvd-rom drive from a pc store? Thanks, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

8. Solaris

sun ultra 10 monitor

hi all, it seem hard to see on a regular monitor the ultra 10 converter to rgb so that it can go to a pc monitor. do u know how can i fix the monitor properly? it's not easy to see on the monitor there's so many lines. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

9. Solaris

SUN ULTRA 45 - Solaris

hi, my sun box hangs- KEYBOARD not found. Using hyper link it boots and then hangs without able to access or get ok promt ----SCREEN SHOT AS-------------------------------------------------- ˙Loading onboard drivers: ebus i2c i2c i2c ppm /ebus@1f,464000: flashprom rtc serial serial env-monitor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathav22
2 Replies

10. Hardware

Sun Sparc Ultra 30 help

Hi all, I managed to salvage form work an old Sun Sparc Ultra 30. I have had it stored (controlled storage) for a few years and decided to get it home and boot it up. It starts up with a beep then I can hear disks spinning up, CDROM moving but nothing is displayed on the monitor. Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbo007
2 Replies
pcram(7D)																 pcram(7D)

NAME
pcram - PCMCIA RAM memory card device driver SYNOPSIS
memory@<socket>/pcram@<technology>,0:c memory@<socket>/pcram@<technology>,0:c,raw The PCMCIA RAM memory card device driver supports disk-like I/O access to any standard PCMCIA static random access memory (SRAM) card and dynamic random access memory (DRAM) card. The driver supports standard PCMCIA SRAM/DRAM cards that contain a Card Information Structure (CIS). RAM card densities in the 512Kilobytes to 64Mbyte range are supported. PRECONFIGURATION
If a PC card memory device is recognized, the pcram device driver is automatically loaded, the physical address allocated, and special files created (if they do not already exist). Known Problems and Limitations The Solaris pcmem driver is not capable of handling "combo" memory cards with multiple types of memory on them (for example, combined SRAM and nonvolatile FLASH). Inserting such a card into a system running the Solaris software may cause a system panic. Because the PC card memory device is designed as a pseudo-floppy diskette type, the only utility that can be used for formatting is fdfor- mat(1). CONFIGURATION
Configuration topics include initial installation and configuration, identifying an unrecognized device, special files, using PC card mem- ory devices, and hot-plugging. Initial Installation and Configuration 1. Install the Solaris software. 2. Boot the system. 3. Insert the card. Identifying an Unrecognized Device If you insert a memory device and it is not recognized (no special files created), use the prtconf command. 1. Become root. 2. Run the prtconf -D command to display the configuration recognized by the system. A recognized device will appear in the prtconf out- put. For example: # prtconf -D . . . pcic, instance #0 (driver name: pcic) . . . memory, instance #0 (driver name: pcmem) pcram, instance #0 (driver name: pcram) 3. If your memory device does not appear at the end of the prtconf output, it is not supported and cannot be used with the pcram driver. Special Files The special files created for PC card memory devices act like disks and have names in the form /dev/dsk/c#t#d#p# or /dev/dsk/c#t#d#s#. Abbreviations used in the names are: o c# Controller # o t# Card technology type #, defined as follows: 0 Null--no device 1 ROM 2 OTPROM (One Time PROM) 3 UV EPROM 4 EEPROM 5 Flash EPROM 6 SRAM 7 DRAM o d# Device region of type #, usually zero o p# fdisk partition # o s# Solaris slice # Note - A device name can be specified either by a partition name (p#) or a slice name (s#), but not both. Using PC Card Memory Devices Since the Solaris Volume Management software recognizes PC Card memory devices, no special vold configuration is required. If you do not want to use vold to manage your PC card memory devices, comment out the use pcmem line in the /etc/vold.conf file. To comment out a line, insert a # character at the beginning of the line. PC Card memory devices do not need to have file systems on them, though typically, before using a new PC Card memory card, you will want to create a file system on it. DOS PCFS is the best format to use. (You can use virtually any file system format on a PC card memory card, but most other file system formats are platform-dependent, making them unsuitable for moving data between different types of machines. See "Using a PCMCIA Memory Card" in the OpenWindows Advanced User's Guide.) Note - If you want to redirect the output of a tar command (or dd or cpio) to a PC card memory device, first create a file system on the card, using the fdformat(1) command without arguments. The card must be reformatted before it can be written on again. Hot-Plugging If a memory card is removed while in use, the device driver returns errors until the memory card is inserted into the appropriate socket. Close and reopen the device with the card reinserted, and the memory card will work. o If you remove the card while in use as a file system, unmount the file system using the umount command. Then reinsert the card and remount the file system using the mount command. o If you remove the card and interrupt a tar or cpio process, stop the process, reinsert the card, and restart the process. /kernel/drv/pcram pcram driver /dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw fileswhere: cn controller n tn technology type n 0x1ROM,0x2OTPROM,0x3EPROM, 0x4EEPROM,0x5FLASH,0x6SRAM, 0x7DRAM dn technology region in type n sn slice n fdformat(1), pcmcia(7D), dkio(7I), pcmem(7D) 23 Oct 2000 pcram(7D)