Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Max Open File Limit
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Max Open File Limit Post 302968786 by Peasant on Monday 14th of March 2016 01:01:40 PM
Old 03-14-2016
No need to change system wide, only per user.
Since, of course, you are not running your applications as root are you ?

As for the value required, this is application dependent.
What does that 'load injector' do?
What does the programmer/vendor of that load injector say about kernel parameters required for his software ?

Remember,max open files doesn't apply only to files but rather to file descriptors.
This covers a lot of possible functionality one application can do (sockets, pipes, files).

MadeInGermany - can you tell me where have you noticed failures with large values, if you can share, of course.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Max No of Open File Descriptors in a process

I have set the maximum no of file descriptors open in a process to the value 8192 using the following lines set rlim_fd_max=8192 set rlim_fd_cur=8192 in the /etc/system file. I rebooted the machine and the command ulimit -n / -Hn both display the limits as 8192. However when I run my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmankumar12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL Socket max Limit settting

How to set the max limit for socket opening TCL Thanks, Ajay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aju_kup
1 Replies

3. SuSE

Setting the max open files value

I'm trying to set the open files value to 4000 on a SLES 9 system. Current values:ulimit -n 1024 I can set it using this:ulimit -n 4000 ulimit -n 4000 But this obviously sets it only for the shell session where I run the command to set it. I want to set this to 4000 for all time. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
3 Replies

4. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation of directoryname with Max limit

Hi, Please provide your inputs.. # define PATH_MAX 1023 /* max number of characters in a pathname (not including terminating null) */ Could you please let me know how to create directory name(or pathname) with above PATH_MAX length in korn shell scripting.. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansa
9 Replies

6. Linux

file-max limit

Oct 31 00:00:02 FIREWALL003 syslogd 1.4.1: restart. Oct 31 00:00:02 FIREWALL003 syslogd 1.4.1: restart. Oct 31 00:00:02 FIREWALL003 syslogd 1.4.1: restart. Oct 31 02:37:09 FIREWALL003 kernel: srmLINUX: segfault at 00000000303a3031 rip 000000000026fe54 rsp 00000000ffbd05b8 error 4 Oct 31... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

max limit in in setting array

hi, iam getting error when i assign a variable to an array of more that 315 character in length set -A array <variable> <variable> value is 000001 000002 and up to 000045 it is giving error as "The specified subscript cannot be greater than 1024." can any one help me to solve this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomathi
2 Replies

8. SCO

sco unix backward compatibility on "max open file per process"

Hi How to increase maximum number of open file in "sco xenix binary" running in "sco unix openserver 5.0.7" ? I have changed "NOFILES" kernel parameter to 512, but xenix binray can't open more than 60. tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork resource unavailable error, max # filehandles open?

I wrote a perl program that simultaneously reads in data from 691 tar.gz files using zcat. I can run one instance of the program without any issues and the memory and swap sizes are negligible. However, when I attempt to run more than 1 I start to get fork: resource unavailable messages. Are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquinom85
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Open File Descriptors Current vs. Max

Hello all, I have been tasked with finding the current open file descriptors versus the limit set. In Linux, this can be done like so: cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr 3391 969 52427 | | | | | | | | maximum open file descriptors | total free allocated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies
POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)							 1							POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)

posix_getrlimit - Return info about system resource limits

SYNOPSIS
array posix_getrlimit (void ) DESCRIPTION
posix_getrlimit(3) returns an array of information about the current resource's soft and hard limits. Each resource has an associated soft and hard limit. The soft limit is the value that the kernel enforces for the corresponding resource. The hard limit acts as a ceiling for the soft limit. An unprivileged process may only set its soft limit to a value from 0 to the hard limit, and irreversibly lower its hard limit. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array of elements for each limit that is defined. Each limit has a soft and a hard limit. List of possible limits returned +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Limit name | | | | | | | Limit description | | | | +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ | core | | | | | | | The maximum size of the core file. When 0, not | | | core files are created. When core files are | | | larger than this size, they will be truncated at | | | this size. | | | | | totalmem | | | | | | | The maximum size of the memory of the process, | | | in bytes. | | | | |virtualmem | | | | | | | The maximum size of the virtual memory for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | | data | | | | | | | The maximum size of the data segment for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | | stack | | | | | | | The maximum size of the process stack, in bytes. | | | | | rss | | | | | | | The maximum number of virtual pages resident in | | | RAM | | | | | maxproc | | | | | | | The maximum number of processes that can be cre- | | | ated for the real user ID of the calling process. | | | | | memlock | | | | | | | The maximum number of bytes of memory that may | | | be locked into RAM. | | | | | cpu | | | | | | | The amount of time the process is allowed to use | | | the CPU. | | | | | filesize | | | | | | | The maximum size of the data segment for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | |openfiles | | | | | | | One more than the maximum number of open file | | | descriptors. | | | | +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example use of posix_getrlimit(3) <?php $limits = posix_getrlimit(); print_r($limits); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [soft core] => 0 [hard core] => unlimited [soft data] => unlimited [hard data] => unlimited [soft stack] => 8388608 [hard stack] => unlimited [soft totalmem] => unlimited [hard totalmem] => unlimited [soft rss] => unlimited [hard rss] => unlimited [soft maxproc] => unlimited [hard maxproc] => unlimited [soft memlock] => unlimited [hard memlock] => unlimited [soft cpu] => unlimited [hard cpu] => unlimited [soft filesize] => unlimited [hard filesize] => unlimited [soft openfiles] => 1024 [hard openfiles] => 1024 ) NOTES
Note This is a not POSIX function, but is common on BSD and System V systems. If the system does not support this function, then it will not be included at compile time. This may be checked with function_exists(3). SEE ALSO
man page GETRLIMIT(2). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)