Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Select lines based on character length Post 302968772 by zajtat on Monday 14th of March 2016 09:24:57 AM
Old 03-14-2016
Select lines based on character length

Great solutions! (so simple, as usual!)
Many thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines based on occurances of a particular character in a file

Hi, Is there any way to merge two lines based on specific occurance of a character in a file. I am having a flat file which contains multiple records. Each row in the file should contain specified number of delimiter. For a particular row , if the delimiter count is not matched with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character based on record length

All, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, and haven't had any luck patching things together. I need to look through a file, and if the record length is not 874, then add 'E' in position 778. Your help is greatly appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CutNPaste
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to select lines from one file based on another file

Hi, I would like to know how can I select lines of one file based on a common ID column from another file (keeping the order of the second file). Example of file1: ID A B C D 1-30 1 2 3 5-60 4 5 6 1-20 7 8 9 Example of file2: ID chr pos 1-20 1 20 1-30 1 30 5-60 5 60 Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Short program to select lines from a file based on a second file

Hello, I use UBUNTU 12.04. I want to write a short program using awk to select some lines in a file based on a second file. My first file has this format with about 400,000 lines and 47 fields: SNP1 1 12.1 SNP2 1 13.2 SNP3 1 45.2 SNP4 1 23.4 My second file has this format: SNP2 SNP3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines from a file based on a criteria

Hi I need to select lines from a txt file, I have got a line starting with ZMIO:MSISDN= and after a few line I have another line starting with 'MOBILE STATION ISDN NUMBER' and another one starting with 'VLR-ADDRESS' I need to copy these three lines as three different columns in a separate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlcm sam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a character with a number based on lines

Hi, I am in need of help for the two things which is to be done. First, I have a file that has around four columns. The first column is filled with letter "A". There are around 400 lines in the files as shown below. A 1 5.2 3.2 A 2 0.2 4.5 A 1 2.2 2.2 A 5 2.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin_shell
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in TXT file based on first character

Hi, I have a pipe delimeted text file where lines have been split over 2 lines and I need to join them back together. For example the file I have is similar to the following: aaa|bbb |ccc ddd|eee fff|ggg |hhh I ideally need to have it looking like the following aaa|bbb|ccc ddd|eee... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuji_s
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimit file based on character length using awk

Hi, I need help with one problem, I came across recently. I have one input file which I need to delimit based on character length. $ cat Input.txt 12345sda231453 asd760kjol62569 sdasw4g76gdf57 And, There is one comma separated file which mentions "start of the field" and "length... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string based on character length

Good day, I am a newbie here and thanks for accepting me I have a task to modify input data where my input data looks like 123|34567|CHINE 1|23|INDIA 34512|21|USA 104|901|INDIASee that my input has two columns with different character length but max length is 5 and minimum length is 0 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastlearner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to select lines with maximum value of each record based on column value

Hello, I want to get the maximum value of each record separated by empty line based on the 3rd column of each row within each record? Input: A1 chr5D 634 7 82 707 A2 chr5D 637 6 82 713 A3 chr5D 637 5 82 713 A4 chr5D 626 1 82 704... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
smhassist(1M)															     smhassist(1M)

NAME
smhassist - check System Management Homepage configuration problems and recommend solutions SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is a command-line utility that checks SMH installation and configuration problems and recommends solutions. checks for common SMH instal- lation problems, daemons that must be running but are not running, ports that must be open but are not, and other configuration problems. At the end of the check, generates a report of the problems and recommendations to resolve the problems. Some of the checks done are: 1. swverify on HPSMH 2. swverify on Apache and required patches 3. swverify on WBEM and OpenSSL 4. check for hpsmh group and users 5. check for 2301 and 2381 ports 6. check for smh daemons A detailed output of is logged to the file at /opt/hpsmh/logs/smhassist.log checks and recommends solutions to problems in SMH only. does not perform checks on SMH plugins (applications within SMH) such as fsweb, pdweb, kcweb, and so on. Options supports the following options -v Print verbose output FILES
/opt/hpsmh/logs/smhassist.log - Stores detailed log output of smhassist SEE ALSO
smhstartconfig(1M), hpsmh(1M). AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. smhassist(1M)