Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Filesystem / (root) run ouf of space Post 302968625 by vbe on Friday 11th of March 2016 05:27:09 PM
Old 03-11-2016
1 - df will show up only mounted FS...

2 -
Quote:
why the application let me create /dcs/data13 asuming it was a path? it shoud have yield an error if filesytem /dcs/data13 didnt exist
Why??? If it were a file system /dcs/data13 would be a mount point no? So it needs to exist for the FS can be mounted, yet if the FS is not mounted then its just a directory and what is stopping you to write in it?...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RUN OUT SPACE (Root)

Dear Buddies, Plz Help me out ,,,,,, the Unix Servers i m working on ,,,Somes times run out of space in root ,,,due the generation of a file named STA ....which causes the system to crash ,,,,, plz hlp me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how to find out the file ....generation causes ...... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpiyanz
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounted Root Filesystem

In my Solaris 10 based server, I have noticed the following mounts when a use DF -K /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% / / 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% /net/se420 I understand the first mount because it appears in my vfstab file and is the mount of root that I would expect.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Root Filesystem

Hi, Can we install root file system on other than 0th slice???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root filesystem filling up!

Hi all. New to the forum and new to Unix admin... / filesystem filled up and I can't find where the large files are. Any help will be apppreciated: # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8063580 7941745 41200 100% / /proc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Resizing the Root Filesystem

Is it possible to increase the root filesystem size without reboot ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

9. Linux

root filesystem goes readonly

I see this when tried to create a dir using root fstab entries are pretty normal tried to remount with rw but it is still the same block device /dev/sda2 is write-protected ---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:51 PM ---------- fstab entry ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
4 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)