Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Dual boot Windows10 and Solaris 11.3??? UEFI Post 302968590 by jlliagre on Friday 11th of March 2016 10:42:13 AM
Old 03-11-2016
Running Solaris 11.3 on bare metal allows running kernel zones, a great new feature introduced with 11.2. When Solaris is virtualized, at least on VirtualBox, you cannot experience with kernel zones.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Dual Boot Xp is in first want Solaris

I'm looking to add a 2nd hard drive to my computer and make one hard drive Solaris and keep the 2nd as my origional Xp home edition. To basically keep them seperated in what they do. Now saying I have the hard drive in installed and everything and it's blank. I work for Sun Microsystems so i know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyrix142
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot Solaris 8

Greetings, I have learned much since joining the message board, but I was unable to locate any information concerning dual booting Solaris with Windows on a machine with standardized equipment. I have read on the sun.com page that it is possible and can even be pushed to the rear partition, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TStoddard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris dual boot

Hello friends, On sparc 5 with solaris 8 i like to have dual boot with solaris 9. is this correct that the minimum memmory must be 96 mb for dual boot? do you recommand dual boot on unix? solaris 8 will be the testing environment and solaris 9 the production. does any one has this type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot solaris off of 2nd HDD

I did a search on the board, but I could not find anything specific to dual booting windows and solaris, with solaris being placed on a second hard drive. I have solaris 8 intel, and I am trying to dual boot, but the Solaris installation process is quite intimidating. I am afraid I am going to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

5. Solaris

solaris dual boot

hi ;) So I have 2 HDD (SATA and ATA). On the SATA I've installed WindwosXP and now I want to install solaris 10 on the ATA disk. Is it possible if the ATA disk is primary to make dual boot ? thank you very much (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocture
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Dual Boot XP Solaris

Does here know how to configure the Windows XP Boot loader to dual boot XP and Solaris 10? I installed Solaris after XP but it did not detect the XP installation, and I really can't reformat right now. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Super User
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris and Xp in dual boot

Hello,I've a big problem. On my hd I've Windows Xp and after I've installed Solaris 10. Solaris now run perfectly but I can't boot the Xp partition.I've tried with grub super disk and I receive an error 12 when I try to boot the Windows partition.However with the windows cd the partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgf0
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris/Linux Dual Boot

From googling around, I have found that dual booting isn't so hard... if you are installing both for the first time. However, I couldn't find anything on if I can preserve my Solaris 10 partition that is already installed. Any words of advice? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
1 Replies

9. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 dual boot with BSD on virtualbox

Hi there, I am new to this operating system, so would like to ask for directions on how to go about doing Solaris 10 dual boot with freeBSD on a virtual machine (virtualbox). Do you have to partition the disk to allow for another OS to occupy? Like in windows? I tried doing this but failed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: czy
6 Replies
zones(5)                                                Standards, Environments, and Macros                                               zones(5)

NAME
zones - Solaris application containers DESCRIPTION
The zones facility in Solaris provides an isolated environment for running applications. Processes running in a zone are prevented from monitoring or interfering with other activity in the system. Access to other processes, network interfaces, file systems, devices, and inter-process communication facilities are restricted to prevent interaction between processes in different zones. The privileges available within a zone are restricted to prevent operations with system-wide impact. See privileges(5). You can configure and administer zones with the zoneadm(1M) and zonecfg(1M) utilities. You can specify the configuration details a zone, install file system contents including software packages into the zone, and manage the runtime state of the zone. You can use the zlogin(1) to run commands within an active zone. You can do this without logging in through a network-based login server such as in.rlogind(1M) or sshd(1M). An alphanumeric name and numeric ID identify each active zone. Alphanumeric names are configured using the zonecfg(1M) utility. Numeric IDs are automatically assigned when the zone is booted. The zonename(1) utility reports the current zone name, and the zoneadm(1M) utility can be used to report the names and IDs of configured zones. A zone can be in one of several states: CONFIGURED Indicates that the configuration for the zone has been completely specified and committed to stable storage. INCOMPLETE Indicates that the zone is in the midst of being installed or uninstalled, or was interrupted in the midst of such a transition. INSTALLED Indicates that the zone's configuration has been instantiated on the system: packages have been installed under the zone's root path. READY Indicates that the "virtual platform" for the zone has been established. Network interfaces have been plumbed, file systems have been mounted, devices have been configured, but no processes associated with the zone have been started. RUNNING Indicates that user processes associated with the zone application environment are running. SHUTTING_DOWN Indicates that the zone is being halted. The zone can become stuck in one of these states if it is unable to tear DOWN down the application environment state (such as mounted file systems) or if some portion of the virtual platform cannot be destroyed. Such cases require operator intervention. Process Access Restrictions Processes running inside a zone (aside from the global zone) have restricted access to other processes. Only processes in the same zone are visible through /proc (see proc(4) or through system call interfaces that take process IDs such as kill(2) and priocntl(2). Attempts to access processes that exist in other zones (including the global zone) fail with the same error code that would be issued if the specified process did not exist. Privilege Restrictions Processes running within a non-global zone are restricted to a subset of privileges, in order to prevent one zone from being able to per- form operations that might affect other zones. The set of privileges limits the capabilities of privileged users (such as the super-user or root user) within the zone. The list of privileges available within a zone can be displayed using the ppriv(1) utility. For more informa- tion about privileges, see privileges(5). Device Restrictions The set of devices available within a zone is restricted, to prevent a process in one zone from interfering with processes in other zones. For example, a process in a zone should not be able to modify kernel memory using /dev/kmem, or modify the contents of the root disk. Thus, by default, only a few pseudo devices considered safe for use within a zone are available. Additional devices can be made available within specific zones using the zonecfg(1M) utility. The device and privilege restrictions have a number of effects on the utilities that can run in a non-global zone. For example, the eep- rom(1M), prtdiag(1M), and prtconf(1M) utilities do not work in a zone since they rely on devices that are not normally available. File Systems Each zone has its own section of the file system hierarchy, rooted at a directory known as the zone root. Processes inside the zone can access only files within that part of the hierarchy, that is, files that are located beneath the zone root. This prevents processes in one zone from corrupting or examining file system data associated with another zone. The chroot(1M) utility can be used within a zone, but can only restrict the process to a root path accessible within the zone. In order to preserve file system space, sections of the file system can be mounted into one or more zones using the read-only option of the lofs(7FS) file system. This allows the same file system data to be shared in multiple zones, while preserving the security guarantees supplied by zones. NFS and autofs mounts established within a zone are local to that zone; they cannot be accessed from other zones, including the global zone. The mounts are removed when the zone is halted or rebooted. Networking Zones can be assigned logical network interfaces, which can be used to communicate over the network. These interfaces are configured using the zonecfg(1M) utility. The interface is removed when the zone is halted or rebooted. Only logical interfaces can be assigned to a zone. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
zlogin(1), zonename(1), in.rlogind(1M), sshd(1M), zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), getzoneid(3C), kill(2), priocntl(2), ucred_get(3C), get- zoneid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5), privileges(5), crgetzoneid(9F) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 2004 zones(5)