Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help in Removing the Old files Post 302968573 by SeenuGuddu on Friday 11th of March 2016 05:37:04 AM
Old 03-11-2016
Help in Removing the Old files

Hi Gurus,

we are planning to clear the old log files based on the year and i need help on this and i searched in google and i came up with the scripts but i am stuck with this.

(1) wroks fine

How many files exist in based on the extension
Code:
 find -type f | sed -e 's/.*\.//' | sort | uniq -c
   3745 txt
     45 dat
   1508 ds
   3745 rpt
      3 sh

(2) wroks fine

and i need to report how many files exist based on the year and here is the code.
Code:

find . -type f | xargs ls -l | grep -c "2012"
find . -type f | xargs ls -l | grep -c "2013"
find . -type f | xargs ls -l | grep -c "2014"
find . -type f | xargs ls -l | grep -c "2015"
find . -type f | xargs ls -l | grep -c "2016"

Here the count of (1) and (2) differs and i am not sure what is missing

(3)

can i get, how many files exist based on the year for each extension files..?

(4)

here is the code which i tried and works fine with the removing old files But i need to remove the files based on the extension files(.rpt) and based on the year(20150101 - 20151231) So i can track the counts.
Code:
touch -t 201501010000.00 older
touch -t 201512310000.00 new
find myPath/folder -type f -newer older ! -newer new -ls

the above code removes the all the files based on the Year but i dont want to remove the files from the SubDirectories. need a help on that

(5) and last the .ds files want to remove the old files based on the year with the below command

orchadmin delete filename*.ds

any help and thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time, thanks

Last edited by vbe; 03-11-2016 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Files

I am trying to remove a file so that I can delete a directory. Unfortuantely the file looks like this --------.--- and the system is not allowing me to remove the file. System message is rm: Error: Illegal option -- - usage: rm file... I have tried rm * and rm *.* to no avail. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blondie
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing files

I have AIX 5.1 I was wondering how to remove a file name with a space in it Say {tb lsv.csv} ? When I use the {rm} command if you have a space it thinks it is a new file. So it looks for {tb} and {lsv.csv} instead of the name as a whole. Thanks in advance Dave By the way guys and gals the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Removing Files

Hi Everyone , have a nice day what will be the command to be given in certain directory which removes all those files present in that very directory which were last modified one month ago ? Regards and Waiting (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dastard
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing files

Hello all, I'd like to remove files which is returned by the following statement ls -l arch*.dbf|grep "`date|cut -c5-10`" (cut -c5-10 =Mar 20) To achive this,I tried the following statments but none worked .. rm < `ls -l arch*.dbf|grep "`date|cut -c5-10`"` rm `ls -l arch*.dbf|grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing files

Hi, It seems someone has created files instead of actually running the commands, as below: -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle92 dba 0 Mar 2 11:19 PRIML_070302.ok -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle92 dba 557 Mar 2 11:20 PRIVH_070302.dat -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle92 dba 0 Mar 12 11:57... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiquidChild
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing old files except configuration files and folders

Dear all, I want to remove files older than 2 months in the /home/member directory. But except the configuration files (like .bash_profile .config/ .openoffice/ .local/ .kde/ etc..) I have tried with the command find . -mtime +60 -wholename './.*' -prune -o -print -exec mv {} \; but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcalicut
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Files

Hi, This might seem like a really stupid question but i have created a shell script and at the end of the script i want to remove most of the file i create. So I have: rm file test sorted However this does not work for the sorted one. The only way i can get this to work is if i do: rm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz8146
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing files

i have a directory that have files that contains word "spam", how can i remove all those files which have word spam. This code help me in searching find ./ -type f -exec grep -l "spam" {} \; How i will add removing option with it. If some one have good suggestion regarding searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing files

How do you delete/remove multiple files ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nosuchluck
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2010-11-06 ROTATELOGS(8)