Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk RS/ORS error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk RS/ORS error Post 302968484 by yifangt on Wednesday 9th of March 2016 07:09:13 PM
Old 03-09-2016
Hmm, it seems I can understand individual line of your script, but not the whole logic. Can you comments my catch:

1) The first line /^@/ && m && c > .6 {printf m;} is used for previous record that has been scanned in the loop. For example, the first record (if its c > 0.6) of the input.file is not printed until the second record has been scanned. Am I right?
2) The END {if (m && c > .6) printf m;} block is only for the last record in the case the sequence has c>=0.6, right?

At first I thought m is for all the records and stored in the memory, which would slow down the process quite bit I guess. With a file of 10GB of size, your script still works as fast like the other one without any RAM issue, which brought me to confirm my understanding.

Last edited by yifangt; 03-10-2016 at 12:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rs and ors in gawk ...????

:D dear members I have a good knowledge of gawk and seem to do quite well with it.. but I have never understood what the use of the rs and ors are for or how they are used.. i am thinking they are for seperating lines and paragraphs but i have absolutely no idea how to make it work, if that is what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in awk

var1=`echo "emp,dept,salgrade" | awk -F, '{print NF}'` count=1 while ; do i=`expr $count` tname=`echo "emp,dept,salgrade" | awk -F, '{ print $(echo $i) }'` count=$count+1; echo ${tname}; echo $count done I want to store in tname=emp, tname=dept,tname=salgrade I am getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk error -- awk: 0602-562 Field $() is not correct.

typeset -i i=1 while read -r filename; do Splitfile=`$Targetfile_$i.txt` awk 'substr($0,1,5) == substr($filename,1,5) && substr($0,526,2) == substr($filename,6,2) && substr($0,750,12) == substr($filename,8,12)' $SourceFilename >> $Splitfile i=i+1 done < /tmp/list.out I am using this logic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error

Hi Team, I have .csv file in the following format .csv file TAB1;COL1;DATATYPE;NOTNULL;WITH DEFAULT TAB2;COL1;DATATYPE;NOTNULL;WITH DEFAULT .... .... .... output: ALTER TABLE TAB1. add COL1 DATATYPE NOTNULL WITH DEFAULT; ALTER TABLE TAB2 add COL1 DATATYPE NOTNULL WITH DEFAULT; I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No error in awk...

Hi all... In the OSX forum I am starting a new awk project to learn awk. In this code snippet I have had to check boundaries to ensure that no NUMERICAL error occurs in the rest of the code... printf "Enter frequency required:- "; getline FREQ; RATE=(BYTES*FREQ); if ( RATE <= 4000 ) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : ORS not to be printed after the last record

Hello Team, here is the code: scripts]# ls /etc/init.d/ | awk 'BEGIN{ORS=" && "} /was.init/ && !/interdependentwas/ && !/NodeAgent/ && !/dmgr/{print "\$\{service_cmd\} "$0 " status"}' 2>/dev/null ${service_cmd} cmserver_was.init status && ${service_cmd} fmserver_was.init status &&... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana.hs
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can someone please explain why we need to set ORS in below awk code?

Question: Write a command to print the fields in a text file in reverse order? awk 'BEGIN {ORS=""} { for(i=NF;i>0;i--) print $i," "; print "\n"}' filename I was thinking it should be (what is the need to set ORS="" ? )- awk 'BEGIN { for(i=NF;i>0;i--) print $i," "; print "\n"}' filename (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)