Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable lost outside a loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable lost outside a loop Post 302968374 by Abu Rayane on Tuesday 8th of March 2016 10:25:29 PM
Old 03-08-2016
Oh yeah got it, I use to do it in PHP but not the same concept:

PHP Code:
$string=''
for(){
$string .='something else';

// end for
echo $string
I think if my array is something like WILL NOT work, will return the last element in the array, I use to set my arrays as below:

Code:
ignoreTbl=( 'visitors_15012016' 'visitors_Original' )

There are 2 elements there:

Code:
ignoreTables=( 'visitors_15012016 visitors_Original' )
entries1=${#ignoreTables[@]}
echo 'ignoreTables has '$entries1' elements' // WILL RETURN 1

ignoreTbl=( 'visitors_15012016' 'visitors_Original' )
entries2=${#ignoreTbl[@]}
echo 'ignoreTbl has '$entries2' elements' // WILL RETURN 2

Last edited by Abu Rayane; 03-09-2016 at 12:32 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable gets lost

Hi Please help! Am using unix AIX... The variable i use in the beggining of the shell script gets lost after i call the sqlldr and sql plus...no changes being done anywhere else... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing variable with variable suffix through loop

I have a group of variables myLINEcnt1 - myLINEcnt10. I'm trying to printout the values using a for loop. I am at the head banging stage since i'm sure it has to be a basic syntax issue that i can't figure out. For myIPgrp in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do here i want to output the value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop and variable not exactly variable: what's wrong

Hello guys, This truly is a newbie question. I'm trying to make a loop to execute simultaneous commands indefinitely while using variable. Here is how my mess looks like (this is just an example): #!/bin/bash IP=`shuf -n 1 IP.txt` # I figured this would be easier to select random lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attempting to pass my array as a nested parameter to loop. A little lost.

I want to pass this array as a parameter. IFS=$'\n' fortune_lines=($(fortune | fold -w 30 )) Inside of this line screen -p 0 -S ${SCREEN_SESSION} -X stuff "`printf "say ${fortune_lines}\r"`" And I am lost at this point. I am thinking something like this? Then make it loop.. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)