Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Splitting log files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Splitting log files Post 302968339 by Stacked on Tuesday 8th of March 2016 12:08:20 PM
Old 03-08-2016
Splitting log files

I am trying to split my IRSSI logs into weekly and monthly .log files. My log format looks like this:

Code:
--- Day changed Fri Mar 04 2016
00:11 <Jack> Test
--- Day changed Sat Mar 05 2016
00:11 <Jack> Test 
--- Day changed Sun Mar 06 2016
15:20 <Jack> Test

The script I have been playing with that I am stuck on to split the logs looks like this:
Code:
grep -m 1 -n --regexp="^--- Day changed `date --date="$2" +"%a %b %d %Y"`$" $1 | cut -d ":" -f 1 | xargs -I '{}' tail --lines=+{} $1

$1 = The location of the .log file to split.
$2 = A date string, I use "1 day ago" as an example.

When I run this script it will create my #channel-weekly.log file but it is empty, it isn't splitting the x number of days I tell it to.

All help appreciated, thanks!

Also, thanks to all of the community members on this forum, it has helped me a lot in the past!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting the files

Hi, I'am using HP-UX.I have a input file which has 102 drop statements in it.I'am using csplit to split the files.The upper limit is 99 only.I'am using the -n 102 option.It says "suffix size not vaild".Any suggestions how to do it using csplit? Thanx in advance, sounder. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

splitting the files

Hi, How can i split the big file by the lines?. For eg. I wanna split the file from the line 140 to 1700. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

splitting the files

Hi, I have some files with 2 million odd records which i need to split into chunks of 0.5 millions. I have the file sorted with a key column in order. The same key value can appear as 4 or 5 records in the file. Hence after splitting we are checking whether all the key values are present in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files from one file

Hi, I have an input file like: 111 abcdefgh asdfghjk dfghjkl 222 aaaaaaa bbbbbb 333 djfhfgjktitjhgfkg 444 djdhfjkhfjkghjkfg hsbfjksdbhjkgherjklg fjkhfjklsahjgh fkrjkgnj I want to read this input file and make separate output files with the header as numric value like "111"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file into 2 files ?

Hi extending to one of my previous posted query .... I am using nawk -v invar1="$aa" '{print > ("ABS\_"((/\|/)?"A\_":"B\_")invar1"\_NETWORKID.txt")}' spfile.txt to get 2 different files based on split condition i.e. "|" Similar to invar1 variable in nawk I also need one more variable... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
18 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting Files Help

Hi Gurus, Lets say i have a file with some 30 records... How can i split that file into 3 files Also it shud be dynamic in the sense.. I wouldnt mind if file 1 has 15, file 2 has 10 and file 3 has 5.... Please help.. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files

Hello all I have a file which has around 80 million records, I want to split it to 12 equal files, I tried using the split command but it is allowing me to split according to number of lines or by size. Is there a way i can split the file into 12 files without worrying about the number of lines... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting files into 100 files with field value

I want a script to split my file upon the last field (15) As file A,b,c,.......,01 C,v,n,.......,02 C,r,v,........,01 F,s,a,........,03 X,y,d,........,99 To make output 01.txt A,b,c,.......,01 C,r,v,........,01 02.txt C,v,n,.......,02 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
DDATE(1)						     Emperor Norton Utilities							  DDATE(1)

NAME
ddate - converts Gregorian dates to Discordian dates SYNOPSIS
ddate [+format] [date] DESCRIPTION
ddate prints the date in Discordian date format. If called with no arguments, ddate will get the current system date, convert this to the Discordian date format and print this on the stan- dard output. Alternatively, a Gregorian date may be specified on the command line, in the form of a numerical day, month and year. If a format string is specified, the Discordian date will be printed in a format specified by the string. This mechanism works similarly to the format string mechanism of date(1), only almost completely differently. The fields are: %A Full name of the day of the week (i.e., Sweetmorn) %a Abbreviated name of the day of the week (i.e., SM) %B Full name of the season (i.e., Chaos) %b Abbreviated name of the season (i.e., Chs) %d Ordinal number of day in season (i.e., 23) %e Cardinal number of day in season (i.e., 23rd) %H Name of current Holyday, if any %N Magic code to prevent rest of format from being printed unless today is a Holyday. %n Newline %t Tab %X Number of days remaining until X-Day. (Not valid if the SubGenius options are not compiled in.) %{ %} Used to enclose the part of the string which is to be replaced with the words "St. Tib's Day" if the current day is St. Tib's Day. %. Try it and see. EXAMPLES
% ddate Sweetmorn, Bureaucracy 42, 3161 YOLD % ddate +'Today is %{%A, the %e of %B%}, %Y. %N%nCelebrate %H' Today is Sweetmorn, the 42nd of Bureaucracy, 3161. % ddate +"It's %{%A, the %e of %B%}, %Y. %N%nCelebrate %H" 26 9 1995 It's Prickle-Prickle, the 50th of Bureaucracy, 3161. Celebrate Bureflux % ddate +'Today's %{%A, the %e of %B%}, %Y. %N%nCelebrate %H' 29 2 1996 Today's St. Tib's Day, 3162. BUGS
ddate(1) will produce undefined behaviour if asked to produce the date for St. Tib's day and its format string does not contain the St. Tib's Day delimiters %{ and %}. NOTE
After `X-Day' passed without incident, the Church of the SubGenius declared that it had got the year upside down - X-Day is actually in 8661 AD rather than 1998 AD. Thus, the True X-Day is Cfn 40, 9827. AUTHOR
Original program by Druel the Chaotic aka Jeremy Johnson (mpython@gnu.ai.mit.edu) Major rewrite by Lee H:. O:. Smith, KYTP, aka Andrew Bulhak (acb@dev.null.org) Five tons of flax. DISTRIBUTION POLICY
Public domain. All rites reversed. SEE ALSO
date(1), http://www.subgenius.com/ Malaclypse the Younger, Principia Discordia, Or How I Found Goddess And What I Did To Her When I Found Her 59 Bureaucracy 3161 DDATE(1)