Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX system logs files
Operating Systems AIX AIX system logs files Post 302968206 by MichaelFelt on Saturday 5th of March 2016 05:38:22 AM
Old 03-05-2016
In my quick scan I missed any mention of syslog.

A lot of user related activated in kept in the 'auth' log, and much of that also appears in the 'mail' log.

Where that goes, if at all, depends on /etc/syslog.conf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

2. AIX

location of logs on AIX 4.3 and 5.3

Hi All, I would like to know where's the location of ALL system error logs on AIX43 and AIX53. Thanks, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

3. AIX

System Logs

Dear Gurus I am running AIX with several users that are using the system, i would like to monitor the commands that are run by these users. Is there a log system that records the commands that are executed by the users??? Any kind of help will be appreciated. Regards Masquerder (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
6 Replies

4. AIX

How to transfer files from AIX to AS400/i-series Integrated File System

Hi all, We (AIX) currently mount to a ZFS on the Mainframe. When one of our local users wants to transfer a file to the Mainframe, they must first run binary MVSLOGIN passing user name and password. Our mainframe will be retired soon and business processes will be transferring to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cruiser
2 Replies

5. Solaris

logs for system shutdown

I am working on a SUN T2000 machine with Solaris 10 running on it. When I checked the system this morning, I found it to be turned off. The lastreboot command showed that the system had been shut down the previous night. I want to find out how the system was shut down. I have run hardware health... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: batman727
2 Replies

6. AIX

system logs

good evening all dear all where i can find the system logs in AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Writing to System Logs

This isn't a RedHat specific question. The software in question might be used for any Linux distribution. Would it be advisable or inadvisable for my application, to be downloaded by many people I don't know, to write to the following logs in /var/log? maillog or mail.log messages secure ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brandon9000
10 Replies

9. AIX

Accessing files on AIX system from Linux system

I have a following requirement in production system 1 : LINUX User: abcd system 2: AIX (it is hosting a production DB) Requirement user abcd from system 1 should have read access on archive log files created by DB on system 2. The log files are created with permissions 540 by user ora ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitnm1106
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Daemon logs in AIX

I have to enable sftp and scp daemon logs in AIX 7.1. Currently only ftp daemons are being logged. What are the steps for doing so? Also programs such as filezilla uses sftp service to log into AIX. How do I ensure that sftp/scp continues to function after making change? Also needs to know what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
3 Replies
dxuam(8X)																 dxuam(8X)

Name
       dxuam - graphical account management program

Syntax
       dxuam  [ options ]

Description
       The command invokes the User Account Manager (UAM) application.	UAM simplifies account management by providing a graphical interface where
       you enter account information in text entry fields and specify information by clicking on buttons and selecting items in list  boxes.   You
       can also manage accounts by using templates, predefining new account information, and predefining actions taken when you remove an account.
       The command only supports the BSD level of security.

Because UAM is an X Window System application, your DISPLAY environmental variable must be set to a machine that is an X Server.  For  more
       information, see

For  each  UAM  account management session, UAM creates a log file that records the account changes that have succeeded and those that have
       failed.	The log file is named .uam_log, and it is located in the default log directory HOME.

Options
       -bd color	   Specifies the color of the window's border (color displays only).  The default is specified by  means  of  the  Session
			   Manager's Customize Window dialog box.

-bg color	   Specifies the color of the window's background (color displays only).  The default is specified by means of the Session
			   Manager's Customize Window dialog box.

-d dispname	   Specifies the display screen on which the UAM window is displayed.  The default display screen  is  specified  by  your
			   DISPLAY environment variable.  The display option has the format hostname:number.  Using two colons (::) instead of one
			   (:) indicates that DECnet is to be used for transport.  The default is :0.  For more information, see

-fg color	   Specifies the color of the text (color displays only).  The default is specified by means of the Session Manager's Cus-
			   tomize Window dialog box.

-fn font 	   Specifies the font used as the output font.	Any fixed-width font can be used.  The default is 6x10.

-geometry	   Specifies  the  width,  length,  and location of the UAM window.  If the geometry option is not specified, uses default
			   values.  The geometry option has the format [widthxlength][{+-}x{+-}y].  For more information about the screen  coordi-
			   nate system, see

-p filename	   Specifies  that  the  filename be used as the profile file.	The default is ~/.uam_profile.	The profile file specifies
			   the customized UAM environment that you want to use.

UAM Window
       The UAM window contains the following fields and buttons:

Username text entry field
	      Allows you to specify the login name for an account.

Change/Define button
	      Displays information in the UAM window about the account whose username is specified in the Username text entry  field  or  displays
	      the predefined new account values for the new account whose username is specified in the Username text entry field.

Rename button
	      Renames the account whose username is specified in the Username text entry field.

Remove button
	      Removes the account whose username is specified in the Username text entry field.

Personal information text entry fields
	      Allows you to specify personal information about the account owner.

User ID text entry field
	      Allows you to specify the user ID number for an account.

Other Shells... button
	      Displays a dialog box that allows you to select the login shell for an account.

Other Groups... button
	      Displays a dialog box that allows you to select the primary (login) group for an account.

Secondary Groups... button
	      Displays a dialog box that allows you to select the secondary groups for an account.

Other Directories... button
	      Displays a dialog box that allows you to select the parent directory of an account's login directory.

Name text entry field
	      Allows you to specify the name that will complete the login directory path for an account.  For example, parent_directory/name.

Disk Quotas... button
	      Displays the Disk Quotas dialog box, which allows you to specify disk quotas for an account.

Password... button
	      Displays	the  Password  dialog box, which allows you to specify the password for an account.  The dialog box contains the Encrypted
	      Password... button, which displays a dialog box that allows you to specify an encrypted password.

Create Defined Account button
	      Creates a new account.

Save Changes button
	      Saves the modifications to an account.

Menus
       The UAM menu bar contains the following menus:

o   Files

o   Options

o   Templates

o   Customize

o   Help

Files Menu
       The Files menu contains the Exit command, which allows you to exit UAM.

Options Menu
       The Options menu contains the following items:

Display Next Available User ID
	      Specifies the next available user ID number in the User ID text entry field in the UAM window.

Update Password and Group Source
	      Applies account changes by updating the password file and the group file, if necessary.

Clear Personal Information Fields
	      Clears any information in the Name, Office, Office Phone, and Home Phone text entry fields in the UAM window.

List Accounts...
	      Displays the Username List dialog box, which contains a list box that displays all the usernames.

Templates Menu
       The Templates menu lists the templates that you can select to specify account information in the UAM window.

Customize Menu
       The Customize menu contains the following items:

Template List...
	      Displays the Template List dialog box, which lists the available templates and allows you to add and to remove templates.

Login Shell List...
	      Displays the Login Shell List dialog box, which lists the available login shells and allows you to add and to remove shells.

Home Directory Parent List...
	      Displays the Home Directory Parent List dialog box, which lists the available parent directories and allows you to add and to remove
	      directories.

Password and Group Source...
	      Displays	the  Password  and  Group  Source  dialog  box,  which shows the service you are using to serve accounts and, if you serve
	      accounts with more than one type of service, allows you to select a particular service to manage accounts.

The dialog box also contains the Update Password and Group Source Automatically button, which enables  the  password  file  and  the
	      group  file  to  be updated whenever you click on the Create Saved Account or Save Changes button.  You can display the Password and
	      Group Source Details dialog box, which shows the password file and its update command and the group file and its update command,	if
	      any, by selecting the Show... item from the Source Details menu.

Account Removal Actions...
	      Displays the Account Removal Actions dialog box, which allows you to select actions to be performed when an account is removed.

New Account Actions...
	      Displays the New Account Actions dialog box, which allows you to select actions to be performed when a new account is created.

Display Unsaved Edits Warning
	      Allows  you  to enable or disable warnings that are displayed when you do not click on the Create Defined Account button or the Save
	      Changes button after creating an account or modifying an account, respectively.

Help Menu
       The Help menu provides help on the UAM application.

X Defaults
       The command uses the values in the .Xdefaults file when you logged in and uses the appropriate resource specification values  to  customize
       the appearance of the UAM window.  The format for a resource specification in the .Xdefaults file is:

[name*]resource:	value

name	 Specifies the application name or the name string that restricts the resource assignment to that application or to a component of
		 an application.  If this argument is not specified, the resource assignment is globally available to all X applications.

resource  Specifies the resource.

value	 Specifies the value that is to be assigned to the resource.

Because each toolkit-based application can consist of a combination of widgets (for example, push buttons and a scroll bar), you  can  form
       the  name  string  by  adding widget class and name identifiers to the string.  For further information about adding class and name identi-
       fiers, see

For the available application class identifier is Uam.

For the available name identifiers are:

UAM		   The application name.

Each specification included for the translations resource in the .Xdefaults file modifies a key setting for the editor that uses.  For more
       information about key and mouse specifications in the .Xdefaults file, see

Files
See Also
       X(1X)
       Guide to the User Account Manager

dxuam(8X)