Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) What's the reason behind having -n option for mv command? Post 302967858 by RudiC on Monday 29th of February 2016 09:48:11 AM
Old 02-29-2016
And what is "overwrite2 not overwritten" (which i would guess is printed to stderr)?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

-c option in ping command

What does '-c' mean in ping command? Is this option specific to bash shell? Deepa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

option for ls command

i'm using SunOS 5.7 and I know theres a ls option for seeing what kind of files are in a directory. I was wondering if there was a ls option that could see if the files are txt or files that can be opened in vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Why does the 'ps' command with -u option not working?

How can I use the 'ps' command to view current sessions but only for a given process/user, with the -u parm? In older versions of Unix, this used to work, but not in Sun Solaris. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

who command option not working

Running HP 11.31 on a HP3600. But when I log in as a user the who command works but if I use an option like "who -m" I get nothing. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-n option with grep command

Hi, what is the meaning of -n option before the grep command ? grep command searches for the specified string in the file tmp_crontab.txt but what does -n mean ? With Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

oracle processes with SOCKT in glance command....reason?

Hi Friends, I could see following oracle process in the glance command. i see nothing running in the database although. I tried google it but no success. Another team ,which needs all the processes on the server is complaining. Can someone help me what exactly are these sessions/ how to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable as a command option?

I am just learning shell scripting and already I found out I have the bad habit of thinking that it is similar to php or c. I learned some basics and now encountered this problem: On shell it is possible to type: $ date --date="2009-10-10 09:08:34" Sat Oct 10 09:08:34 CEST 2009 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Fsck command without any option

Dear all, I want to execute fsck command,can i execute fsck command without any option asking for more confidence. Thanks and Regards Monoj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command option substitution?

Hi folks, I totally dislike asking questions in forums but this one eats up to much of my time I need to spend on other topics. I have a shell-script in which I call a terminal. I want to invoke bash inside the terminal and print a message inside bash with aid of a here document. See... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluntroller
7 Replies
TIME(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TIME(1)

NAME
time -- time command execution SYNOPSIS
time [-al] [-h | -p] [-o file] utility [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The time utility executes and times the specified utility. After the utility finishes, time writes to the standard error stream, (in sec- onds): the total time elapsed, the time used to execute the utility process and the time consumed by system overhead. The following options are available: -a If the -o flag is used, append to the specified file rather than overwriting it. Otherwise, this option has no effect. -h Print times in a human friendly format. Times are printed in minutes, hours, etc. as appropriate. -l The contents of the rusage structure are printed as well. -o file Write the output to file instead of stderr. If file exists and the -a flag is not specified, the file will be overwritten. -p Makes time output POSIX.2 compliant (each time is printed on its own line). Some shells may provide a builtin time command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. If time receives a SIGINFO (see the status argument for stty(1)) signal, the current time the given command is running will be written to the standard output. ENVIRONMENT
The PATH environment variable is used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
If utility could be timed successfully, its exit status is returned. If utility terminated abnormally, a warning message is output to stderr. If the utility was found but could not be run, the exit status is 126. If no utility could be found at all, the exit status is 127. If time encounters any other error, the exit status is between 1 and 125 included. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), getrusage(2), wait(2) STANDARDS
The time utility is expected to conform to ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 (``POSIX''). HISTORY
A time utility appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 14, 2006 BSD