Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) What's the reason behind having -n option for mv command? Post 302967817 by bakunin on Sunday 28th of February 2016 07:00:13 PM
Old 02-28-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutinizerix
Code:
mv -n A B

, then nothing happens.
Not quite, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutinizerix
Both A and B are untouched so B IS NOT the former A. Right?
Yes. This is what i'd expect.

I'd also expect some diagnostic message to be issued (i don't have OS X but i suppose it would be something along the lines of "Error: cannot ....") and the return-code to be non-zero. This is a common trait of UNIX-commands: whenenver they cannot do what is asked they will return a non-zero error code. Try the following:

Code:
ls -l /etc/hosts
echo RC is $?
ls -l /some/nonexisting/file
echo RC is $?

/etc/hosts is a file supposed to exist, so the return code should be zero, the second file does not exist, so the error code will be presumably 2 (if OS X-ls works the same way as my ls on AIX, the value might differ but it should be non-zero in any case).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

-c option in ping command

What does '-c' mean in ping command? Is this option specific to bash shell? Deepa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

option for ls command

i'm using SunOS 5.7 and I know theres a ls option for seeing what kind of files are in a directory. I was wondering if there was a ls option that could see if the files are txt or files that can be opened in vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Why does the 'ps' command with -u option not working?

How can I use the 'ps' command to view current sessions but only for a given process/user, with the -u parm? In older versions of Unix, this used to work, but not in Sun Solaris. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

who command option not working

Running HP 11.31 on a HP3600. But when I log in as a user the who command works but if I use an option like "who -m" I get nothing. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-n option with grep command

Hi, what is the meaning of -n option before the grep command ? grep command searches for the specified string in the file tmp_crontab.txt but what does -n mean ? With Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

oracle processes with SOCKT in glance command....reason?

Hi Friends, I could see following oracle process in the glance command. i see nothing running in the database although. I tried google it but no success. Another team ,which needs all the processes on the server is complaining. Can someone help me what exactly are these sessions/ how to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable as a command option?

I am just learning shell scripting and already I found out I have the bad habit of thinking that it is similar to php or c. I learned some basics and now encountered this problem: On shell it is possible to type: $ date --date="2009-10-10 09:08:34" Sat Oct 10 09:08:34 CEST 2009 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Fsck command without any option

Dear all, I want to execute fsck command,can i execute fsck command without any option asking for more confidence. Thanks and Regards Monoj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command option substitution?

Hi folks, I totally dislike asking questions in forums but this one eats up to much of my time I need to spend on other topics. I have a shell-script in which I call a terminal. I want to invoke bash inside the terminal and print a message inside bash with aid of a here document. See... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluntroller
7 Replies