Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) What's the reason behind having -n option for mv command? Post 302967799 by RudiC on Sunday 28th of February 2016 12:17:06 PM
Old 02-28-2016
Did you think of moving to a different directory?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

-c option in ping command

What does '-c' mean in ping command? Is this option specific to bash shell? Deepa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

option for ls command

i'm using SunOS 5.7 and I know theres a ls option for seeing what kind of files are in a directory. I was wondering if there was a ls option that could see if the files are txt or files that can be opened in vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Why does the 'ps' command with -u option not working?

How can I use the 'ps' command to view current sessions but only for a given process/user, with the -u parm? In older versions of Unix, this used to work, but not in Sun Solaris. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

who command option not working

Running HP 11.31 on a HP3600. But when I log in as a user the who command works but if I use an option like "who -m" I get nothing. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-n option with grep command

Hi, what is the meaning of -n option before the grep command ? grep command searches for the specified string in the file tmp_crontab.txt but what does -n mean ? With Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

oracle processes with SOCKT in glance command....reason?

Hi Friends, I could see following oracle process in the glance command. i see nothing running in the database although. I tried google it but no success. Another team ,which needs all the processes on the server is complaining. Can someone help me what exactly are these sessions/ how to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunwar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable as a command option?

I am just learning shell scripting and already I found out I have the bad habit of thinking that it is similar to php or c. I learned some basics and now encountered this problem: On shell it is possible to type: $ date --date="2009-10-10 09:08:34" Sat Oct 10 09:08:34 CEST 2009 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Fsck command without any option

Dear all, I want to execute fsck command,can i execute fsck command without any option asking for more confidence. Thanks and Regards Monoj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command option substitution?

Hi folks, I totally dislike asking questions in forums but this one eats up to much of my time I need to spend on other topics. I have a shell-script in which I call a terminal. I want to invoke bash inside the terminal and print a message inside bash with aid of a here document. See... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluntroller
7 Replies
GIT-MV(1)							    Git Manual								 GIT-MV(1)

NAME
git-mv - Move or rename a file, a directory, or a symlink SYNOPSIS
git mv <options>... <args>... DESCRIPTION
This script is used to move or rename a file, directory or symlink. git mv [-v] [-f] [-n] [-k] <source> <destination> git mv [-v] [-f] [-n] [-k] <source> ... <destination directory> In the first form, it renames <source>, which must exist and be either a file, symlink or directory, to <destination>. In the second form, the last argument has to be an existing directory; the given sources will be moved into this directory. The index is updated after successful completion, but the change must still be committed. OPTIONS
-f, --force Force renaming or moving of a file even if the target exists -k Skip move or rename actions which would lead to an error condition. An error happens when a source is neither existing nor controlled by GIT, or when it would overwrite an existing file unless -f is given. -n, --dry-run Do nothing; only show what would happen -v, --verbose Report the names of files as they are moved. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-MV(1)