Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input Post 302967682 by aravindadla on Friday 26th of February 2016 07:45:44 AM
Old 02-26-2016
Don/Sea,

Your options looks more feasible to me.
Will try them today and get back.

Thanks,
Aravind.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

suppressing keyboard input

Setup Info: This User Id and Password mention below are being used with the ISQL command to connect to a sybase database so they are likely to not be the same as those that were signed on from the session. Situation: Using a korn shell, the shell prompts for a User Id and Password. During the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't show keyboard input on terminal

I am developing a script that will run with '/bin/ksh' shell. The script is intended to receive a password by keyboard input, but for security reasons I would like to hide what the user is typing. The keyboard input is being caught by 'read' command. exmaple : echo "Please type your new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marianor31
1 Replies

3. Programming

Detecting Keyboard Input without return

Hi, I need a way to detect the up and down arrow key inputs for my program. I do not want to wait for the return key to be entered(so that rules out getch() and family). Also I need to process several of these inputs in parallel, by servicing each request with a thread. Is that possible? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravneetd
4 Replies

4. Programming

Keyboard Input

Does anyone know how do you determine the user idle time of STDIN in order to log the user out for being idle too long. I would like to write a c program to do this but I it is not clear upon how to determine idle time from keyboard input. I have found that the "who.c" source file uses the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpaquette
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keyboard input question

How would I change up a script that currently has something like: bash script echo what's 1 2 3 4? then using read 1 2 3 4 I type 1 2 3 4. so in the script i can do stuff like echo $1 $2 $3 $4 and such... i was just doing echo "1 2 3 4"|bash script But was wondering how could I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopulse
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed execution with input from keyboard

> sed '' Hello hi Hello output How hi output ^D How > sed should take each line as input, process and output the result. In the above scenario the input is passed from keyboard and the output of 'Hello' as you can see is displayed on the screen after 'hi' is passed as input but not as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input keyboard keys upon program launch

Hey guys, first post! I want to write a script that will wait 1 second and then input the keys CTRL+ALT+J to the application i just opened. The program is dosbox, and thay key combination starts video recording :) I have no idea how to program this, can anyone help please? thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brunobliss
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read user keyboard input inside the case?

I need to Write a shell script that allows some system-administration tasks to be preformed automatically from a menu-driven interface. with automated following tasks: Copy directory tree Delete files or directories Output Information (this part is done ) *Copy directory tree The “Copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get input from keyboard with watch?

Hello, i`m trying to create an network monitoring script and i dont know how to make affect that script by pressing an key from keyboard and that script runs not in while or for or any other loop, but with bash command watch for example: i have created an file (for example check) with content... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacarrdy
0 Replies
NNGOBACK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       NNGOBACK(1)

NAME
nngoback - make news articles unread on a day-by-day basis (nn) SYNOPSIS
nngoback [ -NQvi ] [-d] days [ group ]... DESCRIPTION
nngoback will rewind the .newsrc record file of nn(1) one or more days. It can be used to rewind all groups, or only a specified set of groups. In other words, nngoback can mark news articles which have arrived on the system during the last days days unread. Only subscribed groups that occur in the current presentation sequence are rewound. That means that if no group arguments are specified, all groups occurring in the sequence defined in the init file will be rewound. Otherwise, only the groups specified on the argument line will be rewound. When a group is rewound, the information about selections, partially read digests etc. are discarded. It will print notifications about this unless the -Q (quiet) option is used. If the -i (interactive) option is specified, nngoback will report for each how many articles can be marked unread, and ask for confirmation before going back in that group. If the -v (verbose) option is specified, nngoback will report how many articles are marked unread. If the -N (no-update) option is specified, nngoback will perform the entire goback operation, but not update the .newsrc file. If you are not up-to-date with your news reading, you can also use nngoback to catch up to only have the last few days of news waiting to be read in the following way: nn -a0 nngoback 3 The nn command will mark all articles in all groups as read (answer all to the catch-up question.) The following nngoback will then make the last three days of news unread again. Examples: nngoback 0 Mark the articles which have arrived today as unread. nngoback 1 Mark the articles which have arrived yesterday and today as unread. nngoback 6 Mark the articles which have arrived during the last week as unread. You cannot go more than 14 days back with nngoback. (You can change this limit as described below.) THE BACK_ACT DAEMON It is a prerequisite for the use of nngoback that the script back_act is executed at an appropriate time once (and only once) every day. Preferably this is done by cron right before the bacth of news for `today' is received. back_act will maintain copies of the active file for the last 14 days. Optionally, the back_act program accepts a single numerical argument specifying how many copies of the active file it should maintain. This is useful if news is expired after 7 days, in which case keeping more than 7 days of active file copies is wasteful. FILES
~/.newsrc The record of read articles. ~/.newsrc.goback The original rc file before goback. $db/active.N The N days `old' active file. $master/back_act Script run by cron to maintain old active files. SEE ALSO
nn(1), nncheck(1), nngrab(1), nngrep(1), nnpost(1), nntidy(1) nnadmin(1M), nnusage(1M), nnmaster(8) NOTES
nngoback does not check the age of the `old' active files; it will blindly believe that active.0 was created today, and that active.7 is really seven days old! Therefore, the back_act script should be run once and only once every day for nngoback to work properly. The days are counted relative to the time the active files were copied. AUTHOR
Kim F. Storm, Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark E-mail: storm@texas.dk 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNGOBACK(1)