Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with shell script handling processes Post 302967581 by JackyShane_36 on Thursday 25th of February 2016 06:31:57 AM
Old 02-25-2016
Thanks everyone, but I was looking for something easier. With some more dragging around I found the best way to do it without too much complexity.

Adding the code below for reference.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
FILE2=/usr/local/app/command_file.log
while read line; do
command=$(echo $line)
log=$(echo $line | awk -F'"' '{$0=$2}1')
count=$(ps aux | grep -i "tscV6Connector" | grep -v "grep" | wc -l)
instance=$(echo $line | awk -F'"' '{$0=$4}1')
if [ $count -le 6 ];
then 
    echo "Running command for "$log" with name starting with "$instance"...."
    nohup "additional_command_parameters" > /usr/local/app/log/"$log"/"$log_$instance".log &
    sleep 10    #Sleep time for the extraction process.
    now1=$(date +'%d/%m/%Y %X');
    echo -e "*** TSO *** "$now1": Started extraction for MAGIC object type "$log" with name starting "$instance" process PID = "$!""
else 
    now2=$(date +'%d/%m/%Y %X');
    echo -e "*** TSO *** "$now2": Total MQL extraction process reached "$count"....\n*** TSO *** "$now2": waiting for previous process PID "$!" to complete"
    wait $!;    #Main wait statement when count >=7. Once wait is over, run the next command after wait.
    nohup "additional_command_parameters" > /usr/local/app/log/"$log"/"$log_$instance".log &
    sleep 10;    #Sleep time for the last MQL which was waiting before log files.
    now=$(date +'%d/%m/%Y %X');
    echo -e "*** TSO *** "$now3": Started extraction for MAGIC object type "$log" with name starting "$instance" process PID = "$!"\n*** TSO *** "$now3": Total number of extraction MQLs on DB are = "$count"\n"
fi
done < $FILE2

This way when 7th process is trying to start, it waits until 6th is completed and so on .....

A simple logic, works well enough Smilie Smilie Smilie

Experts are welcome to comment.

BR/
JS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

signal handling in shell script

Hi can any please tell me is it possible to catch the signal in a shell script like we do in C. if yes please give me some idea or a link. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script creating too many processes.

I have a shell script that I am running every 60 seconds, but it is creating this process to the point that it is causing the server to perfrom poorly. Below is my script, what can I change to prevent this? while true do java -classpath .....( all my classes here) >/dev/null 2>&1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script file handling

Hi ! /bin/sh set logdir1 "logDir/local/logname" #write the filename into a file echo $logdir1 >> logname.txt how do i exec the above echo command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for getting pid of spawn processes from shell

Hi, I am new this forum. I request you peoples help in understanding and finding some solution to my problem. Here it goes: I need to perform this set of actions by writing a shell script. I need to read a config file for the bunch of processes to execute. I need to fecth the pid of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin4sachi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Handling multiple argument in shell script

Hi i have written a shell script that takes only single ip address from the user and calculates its latency and reliability, can you please tell me that what should be done if i want that user should enter 100 or 1000 ip address (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti_17
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script executed from Informatica ETL tool is spawning 2 processes for one script

Hi, I am having a shell script which has a while loop as shown below. while do sleep 60 done I am executing this script from Informatica ETL tool command task from where we can execute UNIX commands/scripts. When i do that, i am seeing 2 processes getting started for one script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Script on Solaris spawning 2 processes for one shell script execution

Hi, I am having a shell script on Solaris 10 which has a while loop as shown below. #!/usr/bin/ksh # while do sleep 60 done Name of the shell script is coldcentric.sh. I executed script /DATAWAREHOUSE/LOAD/Scripts/coldcentric.sh from a command task in Informatica worklow as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue handling single quoted argument in shell script.

Below is my script that works fine and prints the desired output: #!/bin/ksh echo "$1" | while IFS= read -r dirpath do echo "DIRR_PATH:$dirpath" install_dir=$install_dir" "$dirpath done echo "Desired Output:$install_dir" Output: ./loopissue.sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies
MEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MEDIT(1)

NAME
medit - text editor SYNOPSIS
medit [OPTION]... [FILES] DESCRIPTION
medit is a text editor. OPTIONS
-n, --new-app run new instance of medit. By default medit opens FILES (or creates a new document if none are given) in an existing instance of application -s, --use-session[=yes|no] load and save session. By default medit does it when -n is not used. If this option is not given on command line then medit uses the corresponding preferences setting. --pid PID use existing instance with process id PID. --app-name NAME use instance name NAME. If an instance with this name is already running, then it will send files given on the command line to that instance and exit. -e, --encoding ENCODING use provided character encoding to open the file -l, --line LINE open file and position cursor on line LINE. Alternatively line number may be specified with filename, e.g. medit foo.txt:12 -r, --reload automatically reload opened file if it was modified on disk by another program. -w, --new-window open file in a new window. -t, --new-tab open file in a new tab. --log-file FILE write debug output into FILE. This option is only useful on Windows. --log-window show debug output in a log window. This option is only useful on Windows. --debug DOMAINS enable debug output for DOMAINS (if medit was compiled with --enable-debug option). --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+X+Y default window size and position. -h, --help show summary of options. -v, --version show program version. FILES list of files to open. Filenames may include line numbers after colon, e.g. /tmp/file.txt:200. Trailing colon is ignored. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
MEDIT_PID if set, it is used as --pid argument. When medit spawns a process (e.g. a DVI viewer) it sets MEDIT_PID to its own process id, so the child process may in turn simply use 'medit filename' to open a file (e.g. for inverse DVI search). CONTACT
http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/contact.html AUTHOR
Written and maintained by Yevgen Muntyan <emuntyan@users.sourceforge.net> September 2010 MEDIT(1)