Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Insert a line of text on nth line of a file Post 302967450 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 24th of February 2016 12:48:03 AM
Old 02-24-2016
Hello gotamp,

As you are using SunOS, you could try following and let me know if this helps you.
Code:
cat script.ksh
awk 'FNR==13{print $0 ORS "CHUMMA";next} 1' Input_file > temp_file
mv temp_file Input_file

On a Solaris/SunOS system, change awkto /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk , or nawk.

NOTE: You could run above in a script like I have showed or up to you if you could use it as commands too(in case you wanted to do this for 1 or 2 files), don't forget to give proper permissions to script.ksh to run it properly. Also I haven't tested above script but it should work properly I believe.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file at a certain line.

I need to insert a file called temp_impact (which has about 15 lines in it) to a file called 11.23cfg starting at line 33. I searched the forums and found the sed '34i\ test' 11.23cfg > newfile That will enter word test at the appropriate line, but i need the entire file dumped there. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert a extra line in a text file

how to insert a extra line in a text file using a sh command iam trying to think of a way to add a extra line but without deleting the whole text do anyone have any ideas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaviknp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line in a text file

So I need to write lines into line X of file X. I can get the file by doing: cfgnumber=$(cat -n -comm.cfg| grep -i "servicegroup_name 24x7-comunicacions") echo $cfgnumber it outputs the Line where it finds now I need to start writing something right bellow that line. thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4scriptmoni
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text file at first line

sed '1r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt This example will insert 'file.txt' between line 1 and 2 of source.txt. sed '0r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt gives an error message. Does anyone know how 'sed' can insert 'file.txt' before the first line of source.txt? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: psve
18 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line in a sorted text file(s)

Hello, I am trying to add a line (usually just a word) to some text files in a directory that are already sorted. I just don't want to run the sort command again because it can take a long time when the text or log files are really huge. I have a bashscript that will take in the 1st argument... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line in a text file

I want to insert a line with text after the 9th line of a text file. How would I do this using sed or awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
ctsmc(7D)							      Devices								 ctsmc(7D)

NAME
ctsmc - System Management Controller driver DESCRIPTION
The ctsmc system management controller driver is a multithreaded, loadable, clonable STREAMS hardware driver that supports communication with the system management controller device on SUNW,NetraCT-410, SUNW,NetraCT-810 and SUNW,Netra-CP2300 platforms. The smc device provides a Keyboard Controller Style (KCS) interface as described in the Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) Version 1.5 specification. The ctsmc driver enables user-land and kernel-land clients to access services provided by smc hardware. FILES
/dev/ctsmc ctsmc special character device /platform/sun4u/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ctsmc 64 bit ELF kernel driver ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |SPARC | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcar.u | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) STREAMS Programmers Guide Writing Device Drivers Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI). Version 1.5 - PICMIG, February, 2001 SunOS 5.11 7 Dec 2003 ctsmc(7D)