Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris NFS - concurrent write to same file normal ? Post 302967417 by jlliagre on Tuesday 23rd of February 2016 04:01:55 PM
Old 02-23-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanoob
Is this behaviour perfectly normal under NFS ?
Able to edit the same file at the same time, with 1 write overwriting another ? SmilieSmilieSmilie
This behavior is actually perfectly normal whether NFS is used or not.

It is simply a consequence of the editor you use, here the legacy BSD vi, not doing any concurrent edition avoidance.

Should you have used vim, the editor would have prevented or at least warned you about the situation regardless of whether the file system is local or remote, and supports file locking or not. vim tries to create a temporary file (.swp) when you open a file in read/write mode. Should this file already exists, it ask you about the issue and wait for your decision.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Write permisson in NFS mounting

Hi all i have done set up for nfs. at server <dir> <client IP>/<netmask>(rw,sync) at client mount -o rw -nfs <server IP>:<dir1><dir2> with this i am successful in mounting the directory with write permission. But the write permission is not activate in client machine for the file which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhakti
5 Replies

2. Solaris

NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle

:confused:Hi all When i see in the /var/adm/messages, i saw the following error unix: NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle. unix: (file handle: 45ca415 3e7 a0000 2c7f6 3ebfc25f a0000 2 3e49) It is using sunOS 5.7. Is anybody know what is this error? Is is related to any network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Write problem in NFS

Hi Gurus, I am trying to share certain file with NFS. Requirement is to give access to root of another host to some file system which is shared through NFS. Step1. I entered the below line in /etc/dfs/dfstab share -F nfs -o root=sun2 /usr/src ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

NFS mount read and write

Dear all, I have a server A and Client B. I am mounting a folder which is Server A using read and write options in client B. I have put entries in /etc/exports file as /mnt1/load *(rw,sync) In the client i cannot create any new file or delete any file eventhough it is read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
3 Replies

5. AIX

Write once on NFS file system

Hello Guru's We are trying to save some data for 10 -15 yrs. so we created a NFS share file system and mounted on AIX 5.3 servers, keeping in mind that we might need to replace the expired disk/bad disk every 2 yrs or 4 yrs. Now we are trying to solve. How to protect it from getting deleted... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
6 Replies

6. AIX

Normal VG to Enhanced Concurrent VG

Hi All, I am going to perform some activity in 2Node HA Server(Active/Passive). For that i have to do some pre-requsite (ie., Resource Group VG's should be Enhanced-Concurrent) In my setup, we have two volume groups in one RG. In that one VG is Normal and another is Enhance Concurrent. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to write to a mounted NFS share

Hi All, I created a nfs share in the server(Solaris 10) with the following command and also updated the dfstab file share -F nfs -o rw=server_name2,anon=0 /to_share And then in the client(solaris 10) added the following command to mount the share mount -F nfs server_name1:/to_share... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
4 Replies

8. AIX

Difference between concurrent and enhanced concurrent VG

Hi, What are the differences between concurrent and enhanced concurrent VGs.? Any advantages of enhanced concurrent VG over normal concurrent vg Regards, Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies

9. AIX

NFS multiple write error.

Hi, We are taking the mksysb backup to NIM server's NFS mount point (/backup). We have mounted /backup to all the clients /backup and full permission. When multiple mksysb backup starting simultaneously to the NIM server's shared NFS mount point then only one backup is running and all others... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
3 Replies

10. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim62/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)