Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - Print column number that return value comes from Post 302967388 by ncwxpanther on Tuesday 23rd of February 2016 10:24:16 AM
Old 02-23-2016
Thanks Rudi. I was able to get that to work as expected.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find expression with awk in only one column, and if it fits, print whole column

Hi. How do I find an expression with awk in only one column, and if it fits, then print that whole column. 1 apple oranges 2 bannanas pears 3 cats dogs 4 hesaid shesaid echo "which number:" read NUMBER (user inputs number 2 for this example) awk " /$NUMBER/ {field to search is field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
2 Replies

2. Solaris

awk - Print variable number of colums from a starting column

Hi guys, I usualy am able to google awk stuff but I can't find it so far and there are so many awking gurus here that I will give it a shot. I want to print $1;$3;"$5 up to the $NF". In other words, I can have 1000 colums, but need to have $5 up to the end. I started with the idea of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print number of records, divide this number

I would like to print the number of records of 2 files, and divide the two numbers awk '{print NR}' file1 > output1 awk '{print NR}' file2 > output2 paste output1 output2 > output awl '{print $1/$2}' output > output_2 is there a faster way? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmerc
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk return number of entries

I have a string with the following information and want to return the number of entries enclosed by <> in awk <stdin>: N = 441 <0.369000018/0.569000006> <0.369000018/0.569000006> <0/1> (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Print New Column For Every Two Lines and Match On Multiple Column Values to print another column

Hi, My input files is like this axis1 0 1 10 axis2 0 1 5 axis1 1 2 -4 axis2 2 3 -3 axis1 3 4 5 axis2 3 4 -1 axis1 4 5 -6 axis2 4 5 1 Now, these are my following tasks 1. Print a first column for every two rows that has the same value followed by a string. 2. Match on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print column number while ignoring alpha characters

I have the following script that will print column 4 ("25") when column 1 contains "123". However, I need to ignore the alpha characters that are contained in the input file. If I were to ignore the characters my output would be column 3. What is the best way to print my column of interest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to return only field with a number in it

What is an awk command to print only fields with a number in it?? Input file....... S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S 001S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S 00219S,23S,24S,43S,47S,S,S,S,S 00319S,10S,23S,41S,43S,47S,S,S,S 00423S,41S,43S,46S,47S,S,S,S,S 00510S,23S,24S,43S,46S,S,S,S,S 00610S,23S,43S,46S,47S,S,S,S,S... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies
LR_RUN.IN(1)						  LogReport's Lire Documentation					      LR_RUN.IN(1)

NAME
lr_run - run a Lire program and deal with the logging output SYNOPSIS
lr_run program arguments DESCRIPTION
lr_run runs program, and redirects program's stderr output to logger(1). It parses programs logging output, and sets logger(1)'s flags accordingly. lr_run gets configuration from sysconfdir/lire/defaults. In case 'lr_logging_method' is set to 'stderr', logger(1) is not involved: logging output gets redirected to stderr. In case 'lr_debug' is set to the empty string, messages with loglevel debug and info get suppressed. The configuration variable 'lr_logging_facility' is used to find logger(1)'s facility. NOTES
program's output on stderr should be in format superservice service id programname level message. level should be one of: emerg (system is unusable), alert (action must be taken immediately), crit (critical conditions), err (error conditions), warning (warning conditions), notice (normal, but significant, condition), info (informational message), debug (debug-level message). See syslog(3). id can be used to tag each Lire job, so that these can get tracked. programname should be the name of the program which generated the log line. EXAMPLES
To process a Postfix log and display the report as text, use $ lr_run lr_log2report postfix < /var/log/mail.log To process a Postfix log and create the report in HTML (packed up in a tar archive), use: $ lr_run lr_log2report -o html postfix < /var/log/mail.log > postfix.tar SEE ALSO
Documentation in the Lire User Manual VERSION
$Id: lr_run.in,v 1.23 2006/07/23 13:16:33 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. THANKS
Rudi Sluijtman, for sharing some thoughts on shell scripting. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb@logreport.org> Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LR_RUN.IN(1)