Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Case statement in UNIX shell script Post 302967360 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 23rd of February 2016 07:29:03 AM
Old 02-23-2016
Could you write out the logical flow you are trying to achieve? It's all a bit confused and mixed up with which are variables and which are files. str3 is written to as a file and then you try to use it as a variable.

If you read in a variable fil and you are looking to test if it has a leading hyphen - then you can more simply do something like this:-

Code:
read "enter a file: "?fil
not_first="${fil#?}"              # Trim off first character from input
first="${fil%$notfirst}"          # Trim off all the other characters from input

case "$first" in.......

Does that help? If the statements don't make sense, then let me know and I will explain them.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script automation using case statement

Hi, I'm trying to write a shell script that has a menu and then dependant on the selection, will automate some samba file transfer. The problem is when I run the code without the case statement it runs fine. but when I put the case statement in the only way I can get the code to run is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is problem with this small shell script.. case statement related

Hi All, this small script is written to recognize user input character.. it is in small case .. upeer case or is a number... but when i input first capital letter say A.. it always gives small character.... what is the problem. #!/bin/bash echo "Enter the character" read a case $a in )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnray31
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script case statement

In a case statement like below : case $rental in "car") echo "For $rental Rs.20 per k/m";; "van") echo "For $rental Rs.10 per k/m";; "jeep") echo "For $rental Rs.5 per k/m";; "bicycle") echo "For $rental 20 paisa per k/m";; *) echo "Sorry, I can not gat a $rental for you";;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

case statement in UNIX scripting (ksh)

Hi, I have a script like below : #!/bin/ksh echo "Do you want to export all docs ?" read alld echo "Do you want to export template or report only " read temr case && ] #arguments ;; case && ] #arguments ;; case && ] #arguments ;; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell case statement

echo -e "Select: \c" read IN pattern="1-20" case $IN in ) echo "Selected: $IN" ;; *) echo "Invalid selection: $IN" ;; esac # sh test Select: 10 Invalid selection: 10 # sh test Select: 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on case to call recursively in UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I am New to Unix Shell Scripting basically, i need some help in achieving a case statement in Shell script to call recursively That is if case having like 1 2 3 4 options , if user inputs 1 and gets executed case should ask for options again but user should not input the same input value 1,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to generate case statement

Hi Gurus, I have a very weird requirement and have no clue to resolve the issue. please help me get out this difficulty below two tables, table1 contains the column name. D means this column used for the rule. for example: rule 0 is all columns have value, rule1 is col3 and col7 have no value.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting with case statement

Foe example we have three environments int,qa and prod.Each environment has some number of servers. int=Server1,Server2,Server3 qa=Server4,Server5,Server6 prod=Server7,Server8,Server9 echo "Enter the Environment i.e int,qa,prod" read env case $env in int) ## Need command where all the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshreddy443
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)