Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers ISO UNIX Tutoring in Regular Expressions Post 302967325 by wbport on Monday 22nd of February 2016 06:23:28 PM
Old 02-22-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
I suggest you try Dale Doughertys phantastic book "sed & awk" from O'Reilly publishing. He explains regular expressions (which are the basis of both programs) in general at the beginning very good and in a very entertaining style. I am sure you will like that book, not only for learning purposes but as a future reference.
I've got that book and agree completely. It is an excellent reference book and text book on regular expressions as well as sed and awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hi, can anyone advise me how to shorten this: if || ; then I tried but it dosent seem to work, whats the correct way. Cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have following content in the file CancelPolicyMultiLingual3=U|PC3|EN RestaurantInfoCode1=U|restID1|1 ..... I am trying to use following matching extression \|(+) to get this PC3|EN restID1|1 Obviously it does not work. Any ideas? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tagged regular expressions(TRE) in unix

Hi gurus, Can any of you suggest any good link for going through tagged regular expressions for unix.I am finding it quite critical and need some help from all gurus to know this better. Any good link containing detailed examples with descriptions would do i guess. thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions help

need a regex that matches when a number has a zero (0) at the end of it so like 10 20 120 30 330 1000 and so on (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I am new to shell scripts.Can u please help me on this req. test_user = "Arun" if echo "test_user is a word" else echo "test_user is not a word" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrababu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies
DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle(library call)									     DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle(library call)

NAME
DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle -- obtains the short title of a book SYNOPSIS
#include <DtMmdb.h> const char* DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle( DtMmdbInfoRequest* request, unsigned int* length); DESCRIPTION
The DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle function returns the short title of the specified book object. Do not use the free function on the returned pointer. Table lookup is involved when the identifier is specified by either the primary_oid or sequence_num field. ARGUMENTS
request Specifies the bookcase in the bookcase descriptor field, as well as a valid value in the primary_oid, the secondary_oid, or the sequence_num field. The primary_oid represents the DtInfo Database object identifier of the TOC section; the secondary_oid rep- resents the object identifier of the book itself; and the sequence_num represents the sequence number of the book within the bookcase (0 based). If more than one of these fields have a valid value, the order of precedence is: primary_oid, secondary_oid, and, last, sequence_num. length Specifies the variable to receive the length of the returned short title, if the returned pointer to the title is not NULL. RETURN VALUE
If DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the book's short title. If it fails, it returns a NULL pointer. EXAMPLE
None. SEE ALSO
DtMmdbBookGetLongTitle(3) DtMmdbBookGetShortTitle(library call)