Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help on UNIX grep command for numbers Post 302967144 by Scrutinizer on Friday 19th of February 2016 06:53:22 PM
Old 02-19-2016
This cannot be done with grep. You could try awk, for example:
Code:
awk -v s=05678 '$NF==s{sub($NF "$", $NF+0); print}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep numbers range

I want to grep a range of numbers in a log file. My log file looks like this: 20050807070609Z;blah blah That is a combination of yr,month,date,hours,minutes,seconds. I want to search in the log file events that happened between a particular time. like between 20050807070000 to 20050822070000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azmathshaikh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for non numbers

Hi, I want to find out whether a string contains non numbers and + and - example : Str="0005000A" - It contains A Str="0005000+" - No problem What I have done is , echo $Str | grep I will have to list out all non numeric characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix grep command

I need to seach all strings that matches "if ; then" in all files If i put grep "if ; then" *.* it is not giving any result (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep numbers

Hello, I'm trying to grep for digits surrounded by non digits and I'm obviously misinformed. Could someone help me get this sorted out here is what I have that is not working grep -ho '\D(\{11\})\D' *.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgrailm
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix grep/test command

Hello, i have a script which checks if the user entered 8 numeric characters in the form of YYYYMMDD (birth date). If the user entered any non numeric characters, an error will be displayed: # Check to see if the 8 characters are all numbers # If not show error essage # And prompt user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep numbers

Hi all, I am new to unix and struggling to do the below I have few lines in a xml <title>abc:1</title> <description>abc:2</description> <language>abc:3</language> Is it possible to extract only the entire word like abc:1 abc:2 abc:3 instead of the entire line into a new file . Kindly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help please with Grep/Sed command to extract text and numbers from a file

Hello All, I need to extract lines from a file that contains ALPHANUMERIC and the length of Alphanumeric is set to 16. I have pasted the sample of the lines from the text file that I have created. My problem is that sometimes 16 appears in other part of the line. I'm only interested to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a range of numbers

Dear Friends, I want to know how to grep for the lines that has a number between given range(start and end). I have tried the following sed command. sed -n -e '/20030101011442/,/20030101035519/p' However this requires both start and end to be part of the content being grepped. However... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep for a range of numbers?

I am trying to extract specific information from a large *.sam file (it's originally 28Gb). I want to extract all lines that are on chr3 somewhere in the range of 112,937,439-113,437,438. Here is a sample line from my file so you can get a feel for what each line looks like: seq.4 0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: genGirl23
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep for a line containing only 5 numbers

How would you grep for a line containing only 5 numbers? Something like this. 10 2 12 1 13 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)