Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tip: how to get the deepest directories Post 302967093 by MadeInGermany on Friday 19th of February 2016 09:40:13 AM
Old 02-19-2016
Lightbulb Tip: how to get the deepest directories

A couple of times there was the question: in a directory hierarchy how to display the deepest directories only.
For example in Help with listing only subfolders.
My hot solution at that time was (in short)
Code:
find . -depth -type d | awk -F / 'NF>=p; {p=NF}'

But another article has opened my eyes for the cool solution
Code:
find . -depth -type d -links 2

Smilie
In fact I had implemented that a long time ago in a Unix cleantmp solution; the task is to run rmdir on non-empty directories, and in the absence of -empty the -links 2 is the closest approach: an rmdir can only work on the deepest directories.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the directories, sub directories in a mount along with size in ascending order?

Hi , I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In a particular mount, have to list all the directories and sub directories along with size of the directory and sub directory in ascending order. Please help me in this regard and many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tip: show the last 3 directories in the shell prompt

tcsh: have the following in .cshrc (or .tcshrc) set prompt=": " zsh: have the following in .zshrc PS1="%# " bash: have the following in .bashrc PS1='\$ 'Lacking direct support this is a good approximation. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files

We have regularly questions about how to create users and user accounts. But regularly user accounts need to be deleted too. It is quite easy to delete the user account itself but usually the HOME directory of the user remains. It is good style to remove these directories but simply deleting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies
TREE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TREE(1)

NAME
tree - list contents of directories in a tree-like format. SYNOPSIS
tree [ -adfgilnpqstuxACDFN ] [ -P pattern ] [ -I pattern ] [ directory ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a depth indented listing of files. Color is supported ala dircolors if the LS_COLORS environment variable is set, output is to a tty, and the -C flag is used. With no arguments, tree lists the files in the current directory. When directory arguments are given, tree lists all the files and/or directories found in the given directories each in turn. Upon completion of listing all files/directories found, tree returns the total number of files and/or directories listed. By default, when a symbolic link is encountered, the path that the symbolic link refers to is printed after the name of the link in the format: name -> real-path If the `-l' option is given and the symbolic link refers to an actual directory, then tree will follow the path of the symbolic link as if it were a real directory. OPTIONS
Tree understands the following command line switches: -a All files are printed. By default tree does not print hidden files (those beginning with a dot `.'). In no event does tree print the file system constructs `.' (current directory) and `..' (previous directory). -d List directories only. -f Prints the full path prefix for each file. -i Makes tree not print the indentation lines, useful when used in conjunction with the -f option. -l Follows symbolic links if they point to directories, as if they were directories. -x Stay on the current file-system only. Ala find -xdev. -P pattern List only those files that match the wild-card pattern. Note: you must use the -a option to also consider those files beginning with a dot `.' for matching. Valid wildcard operators are `*' (any zero or more characters), `?' (any single character), `[...]' (any single character listed between brackets (optional - (dash) for character range may be used: ex: [A-Z]), and `[^...]' (any sin- gle character not listed in brackets). -I pattern Do not list those files that match the wild-card pattern. -p Print the protections for each file (as per ls -l). -s Print the size of each file along with the name. -u Print the username, or UID # if no username is available, of the file. -g Print the group name, or GID # if no group name is available, of the file. -D Print the date of the last modification time for the file listed. -F Append a `/' for directories, a `=' for socket files, a `*' for executable files and a `|' for FIFO's, as per ls -F -q Print non-printable characters in filenames as question marks instead of the default caret notation. -N Print non-printable characters as is instead of the default caret notation. -t Sort the output by last modification time instead of alphabetically. -n Turn colorization off always, over-ridden by the -C option. -C Turn colorization on always, unless the LS_COLORS environment variable is not set. Useful to colorize output to a pipe. -A Turn on ANSI line graphics hack when printing the indentation lines. FILES
/etc/DIR_COLORS System color database. ~/.dircolors Users color database. ENVIRONMENT
LS_COLORS Color information created by dircolors AUTHOR
Steve Baker (ice@mama.indstate.edu) BUGS
None known. Not heavily tested. Needs a few more options, ala ls. SEE ALSO
dircolors(1L), ls(1L) UNIX Programmer's Manual TREE(1)