Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Log's not updating as expected Post 302966977 by SkySmart on Thursday 18th of February 2016 11:38:05 AM
Old 02-18-2016
when the log of an application, database, or system is not updating as it is known to or expected to given its history, here's what i was hoping you guys would be alluding to:

1. the application that normally logs to that log file is not functioning properly. it is sluggish and most likely to be crashing in the near future.

2. a new change has been applied to the application or database which has caused it to behave different. if you didn't make the change, then, u would want to know about this.

3. a hack attempt. someone hacked into the database, application, system and screwed around with it. this can be linked to 2.

4. a lack of activity could mean some part of a web site is not functioning right. i.e. page not loading, or taking too slow, causing users to give up.

hopefully, these can point you guys in the direction i was thinking. and i'm hoping you can add more or suggest other possible reasons.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Constantly updating log files (tail -f? grep? awk?)

I have a log file which is continuously added to, called log.file. I'd like to monitor this file, and when certain lines are found, update some totals in another file. I've played around with tail -f, grep, and awk, but can't seem to hit the right note, so to speak. The lines I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortonloaf
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO know whether file is updating or not

Hi All, I am new to scripting. my requirement is , I want to know whether the file(i.e., log file) is updating or not. It should search for every 15 min. If it is not updating means it needs to send out a automatic mail. can you please help me in this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj333
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/log/maillog isn't updating. Postfix related

can someone please help me figure how i can get maillog to start updating again? it just all of a sudden stopped. and postfix isn't writing to it anymore. I'm running a Ubuntu box 8.04 thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

/var/log/messages and secure not updating

Hello all, I recently deleted some lines from the messages and secure files, in /var/log and now they are not keeping a log anymore. The last update shows the date of when I deleted the lines. I had to delete some failed login attempts to stop denyhosts from blocking the ips (probably not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Updating a database

i've got a database setup that references user inputs to see if they are already inputted. What I am wanting to do is allow the user to update the database by typing "update: name" where name is someone already in the database. echo "Enter your name." read NAME location=`find . -name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fufaso
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

prepend timestamp to continiously updating log file

Hi, I have a process which outputs to a log. Below is the code snippet: process &> $LOGFILE& The log file keeps on updating whenever a transaction is processed. The log file has a time stamp added so every time I kill the process and start the process a new log file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumarme_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log file is not updating when I run shell scripts scheduled thru crontab

Hi Forum, Good Day! I have created an empty html file wtih permissoin 777 created shell script(with permission 777) , code is below. #=======================start============== . /data09/oracle/apps_st/appl/D_oraapp095.env rm -rf /home/mnp/Test_log.txt echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartheekbk
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

16.04 not updating

Just installed the latest version on my hp stream, was tired of windows. Of the few times I've used Linux, this is the first time it won't update. Im connected to the net the updater recognizes that the OS needs 21 updates. But it won't download/install the updates. It also won't load the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DabblingMadman
1 Replies
CTL_CYRUSDB(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    CTL_CYRUSDB(8)

NAME
ctl_cyrusdb - perform operations common to all Cyrus databases SYNOPSIS
ctl_cyrusdb [ -C config-file ] -r [ -x ] ctl_cyrusdb [ -C config-file ] -c DESCRIPTION
Ctl_cyrusdb is used to perform various administrative operations on the Cyrus databases. Ctl_cyrusdb reads its configuration options out of the imapd.conf(5) file unless specified otherwise by -C. The configdirectory option is used to determine the default location of the Cyrus databases. OPTIONS
-C config-file Read configuration options from config-file. -r Recover the databases after an application or system failure. Also performs database cleanup like removing mailbox reservations (and any associated mailbox files). All mailbox files are also checked to make sure the file format matches the configured database type in imapd.conf. If not, the file is automatically converted using the same logic as cvt_cyrusdb. -x Used with -r to recover the database only. (Prevents database cleanup). -c Checkpoint and archive the databases. Changes to the database which are part of committed transactions are written to disk. Also, a hot backup of the databases is made and inactive log files are removed. FILES
/etc/imapd.conf SEE ALSO
imapd.conf(5), cyrmaster(8) CMU
Project Cyrus CTL_CYRUSDB(8)