Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Log's not updating as expected Post 302966903 by SkySmart on Wednesday 17th of February 2016 05:09:11 PM
Old 02-17-2016
Log's not updating as expected

hi guys,

so i have a number of log files of different applications, databases and systems.

im curious, what conclusions can i come to if the log file(s) of any application, database or system is not being updated at the regularly intervals it is known to?

what underlying possible problems could this be indicating??

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Constantly updating log files (tail -f? grep? awk?)

I have a log file which is continuously added to, called log.file. I'd like to monitor this file, and when certain lines are found, update some totals in another file. I've played around with tail -f, grep, and awk, but can't seem to hit the right note, so to speak. The lines I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortonloaf
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO know whether file is updating or not

Hi All, I am new to scripting. my requirement is , I want to know whether the file(i.e., log file) is updating or not. It should search for every 15 min. If it is not updating means it needs to send out a automatic mail. can you please help me in this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj333
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/log/maillog isn't updating. Postfix related

can someone please help me figure how i can get maillog to start updating again? it just all of a sudden stopped. and postfix isn't writing to it anymore. I'm running a Ubuntu box 8.04 thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

/var/log/messages and secure not updating

Hello all, I recently deleted some lines from the messages and secure files, in /var/log and now they are not keeping a log anymore. The last update shows the date of when I deleted the lines. I had to delete some failed login attempts to stop denyhosts from blocking the ips (probably not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Updating a database

i've got a database setup that references user inputs to see if they are already inputted. What I am wanting to do is allow the user to update the database by typing "update: name" where name is someone already in the database. echo "Enter your name." read NAME location=`find . -name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fufaso
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

prepend timestamp to continiously updating log file

Hi, I have a process which outputs to a log. Below is the code snippet: process &> $LOGFILE& The log file keeps on updating whenever a transaction is processed. The log file has a time stamp added so every time I kill the process and start the process a new log file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumarme_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log file is not updating when I run shell scripts scheduled thru crontab

Hi Forum, Good Day! I have created an empty html file wtih permissoin 777 created shell script(with permission 777) , code is below. #=======================start============== . /data09/oracle/apps_st/appl/D_oraapp095.env rm -rf /home/mnp/Test_log.txt echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartheekbk
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

16.04 not updating

Just installed the latest version on my hp stream, was tired of windows. Of the few times I've used Linux, this is the first time it won't update. Im connected to the net the updater recognizes that the OS needs 21 updates. But it won't download/install the updates. It also won't load the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DabblingMadman
1 Replies
db_archive(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     db_archive(1)

NAME
db_archive SYNOPSIS
db_archive [-adlsVv] [-h home] [-P password] DESCRIPTION
The db_archive utility writes the pathnames of log files that are no longer in use (for example, no longer involved in active transactions), to the standard output, one pathname per line. These log files should be written to backup media to provide for recovery in the case of cata- strophic failure (which also requires a snapshot of the database files), but they may then be deleted from the system to reclaim disk space. The options are as follows: -a Write all pathnames as absolute pathnames, instead of relative to the database home directories. -d Remove log files that are no longer needed; no filenames are written. Automatic log file removal is likely to make catastrophic recovery impossible. -h Specify a home directory for the database environment; by default, the current working directory is used. -l Write out the pathnames of all the database log files, whether or not they are involved in active transactions. -P Specify an environment password. Although Berkeley DB utilities overwrite password strings as soon as possible, be aware there may be a window of vulnerability on systems where unprivileged users can see command-line arguments or where utilities are not able to overwrite the memory containing the command-line arguments. -s Write the pathnames of all the database files that need to be archived in order to recover the database from catastrophic failure. If any of the database files have not been accessed during the lifetime of the current log files, db_archive will not include them in this out- put. It is possible that some of the files to which the log refers have since been deleted from the system. In this case, db_archive will ignore them. When db_recover is run, any files to which the log refers that are not present during recovery are assumed to have been deleted and will not be recovered. -V Write the library version number to the standard output, and exit. -v Run in verbose mode, listing the checkpoints in the log files as they are reviewed. Log cursor handles (returned by the DB_ENV->log_cursor method) may have open file descriptors for log files in the database environment. Also, the Berkeley DB interfaces to the database environment logging subsystem (for example, DB_ENV->log_put and DB_TXN->abort) may allocate log cursors and have open file descriptors for log files as well. On operating systems where filesystem related system calls (for example, rename and unlink on Windows/NT) can fail if a process has an open file descriptor for the affected file, attempting to move or remove the log files listed by db_archive may fail. All Berkeley DB internal use of log cursors operates on active log files only and furthermore, is short-lived in nature. So, an application seeing such a failure should be restructured to close any open log cursors it may have, and other- wise to retry the operation until it succeeds. (Although the latter is not likely to be necessary; it is hard to imagine a reason to move or rename a log file in which transactions are being logged or aborted.) The db_archive utility uses a Berkeley DB environment (as described for the -h option, the environment variable DB_HOME, or because the util- ity was run in a directory containing a Berkeley DB environment). In order to avoid environment corruption when using a Berkeley DB environ- ment, db_archive should always be given the chance to detach from the environment and exit gracefully. To cause db_archive to release all environment resources and exit cleanly, send it an interrupt signal (SIGINT). The DB_ENV->log_archive method is the underlying method used by the db_archive utility. See the db_archive utility source code for an example of using DB_ENV->log_archive in a IEEE/ANSI Std 1003.1 (POSIX) environment. The db_archive utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
DB_HOME If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home, as described in DB_ENV->open. SEE ALSO
db_checkpoint(1), db_deadlock(1), db_dump(1), db_load(1), db_printlog(1), db_recover(1), db_stat(1), db_upgrade(1), db_verify(1) Darwin December 3, 2003 Darwin