Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash interactive Script Required Post 302966829 by RudiC on Wednesday 17th of February 2016 04:34:43 AM
Old 02-17-2016
Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

And, post input samples and desired output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute interactive bash menu script in browser with PHP

I have an interactive menu script written in bash and I would like use PHP to open the interactive bash menu in a browser. Is this possible? Using the sytem() function in php runs the script but it's all garbled. Seems like maybe a terminal window needs to be opened in php first? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nck
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive installation script

Hi, for an exercise I need to write a script that will ask the user about each package in a (local) repository and install it or not according to the user's input. I am fairly new to scripting, so I did not get very far. Here is what I came up with. I really appreciate your help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Softsmid
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter required data from file using bash script?

Hi All , I have one file like below , Owner name = abu2-kxy-m29.hegen.app Item_id = AX1981, special_id = *NULL*, version = 1 Created = 09/01/2010 12:56:56 (1283389016) Enddate = 03/31/2011 00:00:00 (1301554800) From the above file I need to get the output in the below format ,i need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnanasekar_beem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non interactive su in bash script

Hi, I have a python gui which allow users entering the root password, then a bash script is called to run "su" with the root password on the background. I could find a way to run "su" with a password. How to run "su" in a bash script without password prompt? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an Interactive Bash Script to Analyze a PCAP

Hello Everyone, I am currently trying to write a Bash Script to call a PCAP file. The command I will use in the script will be the following: tshark -r test.pcap -T fields -e frame.number -e frame.time -e eth.src -e eth.dst -e ip.src -e ip.dst -r ip.proto -E header=y -E separator=, quote=d -E... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrTuxor
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to interactive program through bash script, here document

Dear Users, I have installed a standalone program to do multiple sequence alignment which takes user parameters to run the program. I have multiple sequence files and want to automate this process through a bash script. I have tried to write a small bash code but its throwing errors. Kindly... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: biochemist
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive scripts

i have a script that contains: script.sh #!/bin/bash echo -e "\t\t\t0. Exit" echo -e "\t\t\t1. Help" echo -e "\t\t\t2. Notes" echo -e "\t\t\t3. Classes" echo "${newline}" echo -n -e "\t Please enter option number : " read Type case $Type in 1) clear ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash -c interactive scripts

i have to run the following script through a pipe: script.sh: #!/bin/bash echo "Hello World" echo -e "The \033 here's how its currently being run: bash -c "$(cat script.sh)" This is an interactive script. the problem is, when i run it this way, if you go to another terminal and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD