Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expanding a list of wildcard filenames with spaces Post 302966752 by RudiC on Tuesday 16th of February 2016 07:01:46 AM
Old 02-16-2016
That's two problems that you can't solve with one generic approach. For your special setup above, try
Code:
while IFS= read -r  FILENAME; do echo "$FILENAME"; ls -d1 "${FILENAME%\*}"${FILENAME#${FILENAME%\*}}; done < file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard for spaces

I want to do a search and replace in a file but there may or may not be one space, two or none. i.e.: test&nbsp;3,1 test&nbsp;&nbsp; 3,1 test,3,1 test&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3,1 The output I will be looking for is this: test&nbsp;3,2 test&nbsp;&nbsp;3,2 test,3,2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

I have a problem with the script below #!/bin/sh for vo in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex "^\./*$"` do ls -l "$vo" some other commands done It works fine until `find ...` returns files with spaces. I've tryed to change IFS but haven't succeed Any solutions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix filenames and spaces

I have files on my unix boxes that users have created with spaces. Example: /tmp/project plan ls -l "/tmp/project plan" works fine. $/tmp>ls -l "/tmp/project plan" -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 0 Jan 31 12:32 /tmp/project plan I created a file called test and put just the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames, for do

Hi All, I see similar problems in past threads but so far no answers have worked for me. I am trying to write a script which parses a txt file that contains one filename per line, then finds those files on the local disk and copies them to a specified directory. What I have: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naviztirf
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list filenames with spaces in shell script

Hi, I want to list all the files matching in a directory directory given below Here one of the folder has a space in the path. /MAS02/RMS/WBDev/Krishna/Krishna Mohan/FMSplitByKeyAfterChanges1000075383.fileman.*.txt.out.1000075383.0 The following works from command line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hikrishn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

Hi I hope someone will be able to resolve this little teaser! I am running a script for file in `ls directory` do echo "$file" ...other code here.... done this works fine unless we receive a file with a name which has a space in it ie "filena me" (I know its not good... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving filenames containing spaces

I want to ftp all the sh files in the directory. Also if any of the file name contains spaces in them, it should be converted to underscores before it is ftped. I wrote the following code below: FILESSH=$(ls /mysh/*.sh) --- FILESH being used here for some other task --- echo "$FILESSH" |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the last column of the list contain filenames with spaces.

Hi experts, I have the following data: I want the last filed in the output. How to print the last field , It contains the file names and few filenames with white spaces . -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-04-26 16:57 file1 2space_File.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-04-26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -ltr a list of filenames-with-spaces within a text file

OS: RHEL 5.8 shell: bash 3.2.25 Directory /home/guest/ contains these files: file a file b file c fileD fileE fileF testFile.txt I'm trying to find the syntax to run ls -ltr against this list of files that is contained within a text file, testFile.txt. The file testFile.txt has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list and move files with spaces and wildcard?

I am writing a code that can move and archve all the files in a directory except the latest file based on file pattern provided in a controlfile. The filename is in the form of pattern. So basically we find the all the files of the pattern provided and archive all of them, leaving one latest file.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
3 Replies
PR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     PR(1)

NAME
pr - print file SYNOPSIS
pr [ option ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Pr produces a printed listing of one or more files on its standard output. The output is separated into pages headed by a date, the name of the file or a specified header, and the page number. With no file arguments, pr prints its standard input. Options apply to all following files but may be reset between files: -n Produce n-column output. +n Begin printing with page n. -b Balance columns on last page, in case of multi-column output. -d Double space. -en Set the tab stops for input text every n spaces. -h Take the next argument as a page header (file by default). -in Replace sequences of blanks in the output by tabs, using tab stops set every n spaces. -f Use formfeeds to separate pages. -ln Take the length of the page to be n lines instead of the default 66. -m Print all files simultaneously, each in one column. -n Number the lines of each file. -on Offset the left margin n character positions. -sc Separate columns by the single character c instead of aligning them with white space. A missing c is taken to be a tab. -t Do not print the 5-line header or the 5-line trailer normally supplied for each page. -wn For multi-column output, take the width of the page to be n characters instead of the default 72. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/pr.c SEE ALSO
cat(1), lp(1) PR(1)