Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking DNS problem : ping doesn't recognize hostname Post 302966702 by evanbooyens on Monday 15th of February 2016 03:59:23 PM
Old 02-15-2016
Ping Failure on DNS lookup

Remember that ping often uses gethostbyname system/kernel call where traceroute often uses the actual DNS lookup. You can also easily test whether the entries are indeed in DNS by using nslookup or dig

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doesn't recognize the mv command

I'm nearly finished my program i've got everything in place and than when i run it it comes back with the reply mv: command not found. This is the code that seems to be causing the problem. elif then echo "There are more than one '$1' files in the system." echo "Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoolz
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

UX 11iV2 - No ping by hostname

Hi. I just installed the HP-UX 11i V2. I have problems with CDE - it is inoperative (after logon there is a message box: messaging system failure - or something like that, it asks to check /etc/hosts and network settings). nslookup works by hostname and IP, hostname shown the correct... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netwalker
7 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX 11.11: X doesn't recognize mouse and keyboard

hi folks, i've got a blank hp visualize C3000 workstation and installed HP-UX 11.11. When I want to start X, I get the following error message: # X Fatal server error: Couldn't open X pointer device! Is one attached? I've connected an mouse and a keyboard with an usb/ps2 connector.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grisu
5 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot ping by hostname

Hi All, My current setup is: 1x Windows Server (Windows 2000 server) 1x Unix Server 2x Windows machine 3x Unix Terminals (Hostnames = A, B and C) Problem The problem iam having is Unix terminal C cannot be ping across by Unix terminal A or B or Unix server by using the hostname. Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlee
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Can't ping using hostname on Solaris 10

I recently installed Solaris 10 on my Sun workstation. I cannot ping using hostname from another computer on the same network. But I can ping using the IP address. Also I can ping other systems using their hostnames. Can anyone give some information regarding how to resolve this issue. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha123
4 Replies

6. AIX

Ping by hostname

Hello everyone I have a partition with a problem with ping. If I do a ping by ip for example ping 1.1.1.1 I got no problem but If I ping by hostname for example ping partition1 take almost a minute to respond me. I have Aix 5.3 and I have another 19 partitions with no problem. The only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping by hostname not working

anyone ever seen this problem: I can ping the server by IP address but I can't by hostname. nslookup is working and dns query is ok. # nslookup mwxnsb24 Server: 10.11.49.206 Address: 10.11.49.206#53 Name: mwxnsb24 Address: 10.10.58.175 # ping... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect doesn't recognize a password prompt

Hi. Here is beginning of my script #!/usr/local/bin/expect -- set timeout 15 spawn /usr/local/account.sh -n modify expect "Password:" {send "mypassword\r"} But due to some terminal control sequences (or something else, dunno exactly) my password prompt is looking like this: and expect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value of variable is NULL, but test doesn't seem to recognize

Hello, Unix-forums! My problem: read -p "Enter any number, please" number sleep 1 echo $number | tr -d 0-9 test -z $number && echo "Thank you" || echo "This is not a number"Test always displays "This is not a number". It doesn't matter if I entered a or 1. But if I order echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies
Smokeping_probes_DNS(3) 					     SmokePing						   Smokeping_probes_DNS(3)

NAME
Smokeping::probes::DNS - Name Service Probe for SmokePing SYNOPSIS
*** Probes *** +DNS binary = /usr/bin/dig # mandatory forks = 5 offset = 50% step = 300 timeout = 15 # The following variables can be overridden in each target section lookup = www.example.org pings = 5 server = ns1.someisp.net # [...] *** Targets *** probe = DNS # if this should be the default probe # [...] + mytarget # probe = DNS # if the default probe is something else host = my.host lookup = www.example.org pings = 5 server = ns1.someisp.net DESCRIPTION
Integrates dig as a probe into smokeping. The variable binary must point to your copy of the dig program. If it is not installed on your system yet, you should install bind-utils >= 9.0.0. The Probe asks the given host n-times for it's name. Where n is the amount specified in the config File. VARIABLES
Supported probe-specific variables: binary The location of your dig binary. Example value: /usr/bin/dig This setting is mandatory. forks Run this many concurrent processes at maximum Example value: 5 Default value: 5 offset If you run many probes concurrently you may want to prevent them from hitting your network all at the same time. Using the probe- specific offset parameter you can change the point in time when each probe will be run. Offset is specified in % of total interval, or alternatively as 'random', and the offset from the 'General' section is used if nothing is specified here. Note that this does NOT influence the rrds itself, it is just a matter of when data acqusition is initiated. (This variable is only applicable if the variable 'concurrentprobes' is set in the 'General' section.) Example value: 50% step Duration of the base interval that this probe should use, if different from the one specified in the 'Database' section. Note that the step in the RRD files is fixed when they are originally generated, and if you change the step parameter afterwards, you'll have to delete the old RRD files or somehow convert them. (This variable is only applicable if the variable 'concurrentprobes' is set in the 'General' section.) Example value: 300 timeout How long a single 'ping' takes at maximum Example value: 15 Default value: 5 Supported target-specific variables: lookup Name of the host to look up in the dns. Example value: www.example.org pings How many pings should be sent to each target, if different from the global value specified in the Database section. Note that the number of pings in the RRD files is fixed when they are originally generated, and if you change this parameter afterwards, you'll have to delete the old RRD files or somehow convert them. Example value: 5 server Name of the dns server to use. Example value: ns1.someisp.net AUTHORS
Igor Petrovski <pigor@myrealbox.com>, Carl Elkins <carl@celkins.org.uk>, Andre Stolze <stolze@uni-muenster.de>, Niko Tyni <ntyni@iki.fi>, Chris Poetzel<cpoetzel@anl.gov> 2.6.8 2013-03-17 Smokeping_probes_DNS(3)