Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract name from path and change output Post 302966650 by giuliangiuseppe on Monday 15th of February 2016 06:02:39 AM
Old 02-15-2016
Extract name from path and change output

Dear All,

I would like to extract the file name without extension form a variable...
In particular I have a command like this one:

Code:
for file in path/to/file/example_number.ext
do something -input $file -output ${file%_number.ext}.new
done

means that in variable $file are saved all the path and the files.

Now, the output
Code:
-output  ${file%_number.ext}.new

save the output file
Code:
example.new

in:
Code:
path/to/file/

What I would like instead is to extract just the file name and output the result in a new/path

Code:
for file in path/to/file/example_number.ext
do something -input $file -output "new/path/example.new"
done

so the output file will be in

Code:
new/path/

and name
Code:
example.new

Obviously I have multiple files in the folder.

Hope is clear
Thanks for any help!

Best

Giuliano

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract a part of a path like (input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp)

Hi, I need to make some extraction . with the following input to get the right output. input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp and input: aex1234 ===> output: ex Thanks for your help, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar extract to new path

I need to extract a file,which contains the path to a new path. sample tar file tar -tfv class.tar | grep client -rw------- 0/1 99 Jan 22 12:46 2004 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/mariner/clients -rw------- 0/1 102 Sep 25 11:33 2007... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jouuu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fnsplit, Extract filename from path

Hi all, I know this has been covered a lot, I have been searching and reading for hours on the subject, however so far I have been unsuccessful at accomplishing the goal using sed. I know this can be done with parameter expansion (Thanks cfajohnson for a great explanation of parameter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract path within path

Hi, I have a environmental variables, ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle/ORCL/db/tech/10.2.0 ORACLE_SID=ORCL Now I need to create a variable and need to extract some part from ORACLE_HOME. I need to get the path from ORACLE_HOME till ORACLE_SID as /u01/oracle/ORCL. I may need to check also... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract the path

I make this script that uses "strace" to trace programs. The script looks for files that the program opens. It looks like this open("/lib/libtermcap.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3 open("/dev/tty", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE) = 3 I want to extract the path without the quotes, preferably using grep and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samuel Gordon
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i change my PATH

1. that you are calling the POSIX UNIX commands located under /usr/xpg4/bin instead of those under /usr/bin 2. that you can run programs from the current directory 3. that your scripts located in the bin directory under your HOME directory can be found and executed from any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vpatel44
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract partial string from path.

Hi all, i've a string $DIR=/u/user/NDE/TEST_LOGS/20110622_000005_TEST_11_HD_120/HD/TEST_11_HD_120/hd-12 i need to extract string from 2011.... i.e i need it as 20110622_000005_TEST_11_HD_120 as matched string, and in turn i need to split values 20110622_000005_TEST_11_HD_120 into two.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
6 Replies
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)			 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract - internals for archive extraction SYNOPSIS
### for source files ### $self->_gunzip( file => 'foo.gz', output => 'blah.txt' ); ### for modules/packages ### $dir = $self->_extract( module => $modobj, extractdir => '/some/where' ); DESCRIPTION
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract extracts compressed files for CPANPLUS. It can do this by either a pure perl solution (preferred) with the use of "Archive::Tar" and "Compress::Zlib", or with binaries, like "gzip" and "tar". The flow looks like this: $cb->_extract Delegate to Archive::Extract METHODS
$dir = _extract( module => $modobj, [perl => '/path/to/perl', extractdir => '/path/to/extract/to', prefer_bin => BOOL, verbose => BOOL, force => BOOL] ) "_extract" will take a module object and extract it to "extractdir" if provided, or the default location which is obtained from your config. The file name is obtained by looking at "$modobj->status->fetch" and will be parsed to see if it's a tar or zip archive. If it's a zip archive, "__unzip" will be called, otherwise "__untar" will be called. In the unlikely event the file is of neither format, an error will be thrown. "_extract" takes the following options: module A "CPANPLUS::Module" object. This is required. extractdir The directory to extract the archive to. By default this looks something like: /CPANPLUS_BASE/PERL_VERSION/BUILD/MODULE_NAME prefer_bin A flag indicating whether you prefer a pure perl solution, ie "Archive::Tar" or "Archive::Zip" respectively, or a binary solution like "unzip" and "tar". perl The path to the perl executable to use for any perl calls. Also used to determine the build version directory for extraction. verbose Specifies whether to be verbose or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. force Specifies whether to force the extraction or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. All other options are passed on verbatim to "__unzip" or "__untar". Returns the directory the file was extracted to on success and false on failure. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)