Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 1st time awk user strings not matching right.... Post 302966579 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 13th of February 2016 07:37:12 PM
Old 02-13-2016
And either use string comparison:
Code:
$4 == "+"

or
a regex match:
Code:
$4 ~ /\+/

Although there do not appear to be + or - signs in the sample that you posted.
Perhaps you mean to use a numerical test ( >0 or <0 ) ?

Also, in this case the BEGIN section is superfluous and you can use the associative quality of an array instead of several variables..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return an array of strings from user defined function in awk

Hello Friends, Is it possible to return an array from a user defined function in awk ? example: gawk ' BEGIN{} { catch_line = my_function(i) print catch_line print catch_line print catch_line } function my_function(i) { print "echo" line= "awk" line= "gawk"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk scripting - matching records and summing up time

Hello. I just found out about awk, and it appears that this could handle the problem I'm having right now. I first stumbled on the thread How to extract first and last line of different record from a file, and that problem is almost similar to mine. In my case, an ASCII file will contain the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gonik
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK- delimiting the strings and matching the fields

Hello, I am newbie in awk. I have just started learning it. 1) I have input file which looks like: {4812 4009 1602 2756 306} {4814 4010 1603 2757 309} {8116 9362 10779 } {10779 10121 9193 10963 10908} {1602 2756 306 957 1025} {1603 2757 307} and so on..... 2) In output: a)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kajolo
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get a compiler gcc, cc, cl.exe...? (literally 1st time unix user)

Hi all, I've done hours of reading on google and can't find an answer... I'm trying to compile/install the Apache web server on a Unix vm. When i try ./compile (the file's been unzipped already), I get this error: $ ./configure checking for chosen layout... Apache checking for working mkdir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddlo
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings not matching

Hi, I have got two variables holding strings, if i echo them, they print the same value but if i compare the condition fails?? can somebody suggest something?? I have checked the word count too, they are also same. Thanks, Atul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulmt
4 Replies

6. Programming

help with matching strings

In C programming how do i check if a char is equal to a vowel , like a e i o or u, small or big case. in my function i have the parameter like *word, and i am using word in a for loop, to check if its equal. i use tolower(word)=='a' || ..... but for some reason it only matches on lower case and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

7. Solaris

System time and Cron time stamp not matching

On Solaris 10 server the system date won't match with the timestamp on files created by a cron jobs, Please help here is what i get when i check for system date infodba-ie10ux014:/tcpdv1_ie10/tcadmin/bin\n\r-> date Tue Apr 24 15:27:43 GMT 2012at same time i executed a cron job, and checked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karghum
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract strings matching multiple patterns

Hi, I wasn't quite sure how to title this one! Here goes: I have some already partially parsed log files, which I now need to extract info from. Because of the way they are originally and the fact they have been partially processed already, I can't make any assumptions on the number of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output counts of all matching strings lessthan a number using awk

The awk below is supposed to count all the matching $5 strings and count how many $7 values is less than 20. I don't think I need the portion in bold as I do not need any decimal point or format, but can not seem to get the correct counts. Thank you :). file chr5 77316500 77316628 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)