Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware SAS or SSD for Ubuntu 14.04 and data analysis Post 302966475 by jgt on Friday 12th of February 2016 09:28:19 AM
Old 02-12-2016
do you access your data files randomly or sequentially?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

help needed- data analysis-table-chart-2d plot software

Hi all, I posted the same message under 'Kaleidagraph like software for Ubuntu' thread. I guess there may not be many people familiar with Kaleidagraph. So I post my message under another subject name. I need a tool for Ubuntu 8.10, -which is quick and easy to learn and use (as I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apprentice
1 Replies

2. BSD

Using SSD in FreeBSD

Now that SSD drives are becoming mainstream, I had a few questions on installing a SSD drive in a FreeBSD environment. Can FreeBSD be made SSD aware, that is, somehow let FreeBSD know that reads and writes should be limited or deferred to extend the disk's life? Is there a setting for wear... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

What is the best tools for performance data gathering and analysis?

Dear Guru, IHAC who complaint that his CentOS is getting performance issue. I have to help him out of there. Could you please tell me which tools is better to gathering the whole system performance data? -- CPU/Memory/IO(disk & Network)/swap I would like the tools could be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with analysis data based on particular column content

Input file: Total_counts 1306726155 100% Number_of_count_true 855020282 Number_of_count_true_1 160014283 Number_of_count_true_2 44002825 Number_of_count_true_3 18098424 Number_of_count_true_4 24693745 Number_of_count_false 115421870 Number_of_count_true 51048447 Total_number_of_false ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data analysis, Regular Expression - Unix

Hey every one! I have a dataset like this : 1 100 1 0 5 100 1 8 7 50 1 0 7 100 2 0 10 20 1 8 10 30 1 8 10 100 3 8 15 50 5 0 20 90 1 0 20 99 9 0 I wanna check if the 4th column is 0 or 8 If it's zero write the 1st column itself, if it's 8 write sum of 1st and second something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What should I format my SSD with?

Hello All, I recently received a new SSD that I am going to use for the purpose of Booting Virtual Machines. I use VMWare Player to boot Windows Guest Operating Systems onto my Linux Laptop. I currently have a SSD drive that I use for this exact same purpose that is formatted as ext3 and I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies
POSIX_FADVISE(2)					      BSD System Calls Manual						  POSIX_FADVISE(2)

NAME
posix_fadvise -- give advice about use of file data LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <fcntl.h> int posix_fadvise(int fd, off_t offset, off_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The posix_fadvise() system call allows a process to describe to the system its data access behavior for an open file descriptor fd. The advice covers the data starting at offset offset and continuing for len bytes. If len is zero, all data from offset to the end of the file is covered. The behavior is specified by the advice parameter and may be one of: POSIX_FADV_NORMAL Tells the system to revert to the default data access behavior. POSIX_FADV_RANDOM Is a hint that file data will be accessed randomly, and prefetching is likely not advantageous. POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL Tells the system that file data will be accessed sequentially. This currently does nothing as the default behavior uses heuristics to detect sequential behavior. POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED Tells the system that the specified data will be accessed in the near future. The system may initiate an asynchronous read of the data if it is not already present in memory. POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED Tells the system that the specified data will not be accessed in the near future. The system may decrease the in-mem- ory priority of clean data within the specified range and future access to this data may require a read operation. POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE Tells the system that the specified data will only be accessed once and then not reused. The system may decrease the in-memory priority of data once it has been read or written. Future access to this data may require a read operation. RETURN VALUES
The posix_fadvise() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The posix_fadvise() system call returns zero on success, and an error on failure: [EBADF] The fd argument is not a valid file descriptor. [EINVAL] The advice argument is not valid. [EINVAL] The offset or len arguments are negative, or offset + len is greater than the maximum file size. [ENODEV] The fd argument does not refer to a regular file. [ESPIPE] The fd argument is associated with a pipe or FIFO. SEE ALSO
madvise(2) STANDARDS
The posix_fadvise() interface conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The posix_fadvise() system call first appeared in FreeBSD 9.1. BSD
January 30, 2014 BSD