Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a string in all files and echo a message Post 302966166 by jasonhawaii on Tuesday 9th of February 2016 02:29:47 AM
Old 02-09-2016
Find a string in all files and echo a message

Hi. I m trying to figure out how to do this.

I have a directory full of files (100 files) and I want to be able to search for a string called "end" at the end of the files (last line or last 5 lines) and echo each file to say "incomplete" if not found.

This is what I have so far.

---
Code:
for file in 'ls';do
    Incomplete='tail -5 $file | grep end';
    if [[ $file -ne "$Incomplete" ]];then
        echo "$file is incomplete.";
    fi
done

----

When i run the script, it says:

-bash: [[: tail -5 $file | grep end: syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is "$file | grep end")

I have no clue yet. Can someone help to explain? Thanks a ton.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture status code and echo a message

Im trying to execute application and its return code is below IF Status code=o echo "........" else Staus Code =-2 DJRE then echo "......" Can any one help me how to handle the status code and echo some message. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string inside files

Hi, I would like to know how to get a list of files that contain a specific string inside them. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace string in a directory files

Hi, I have a directory has DIR1 and the D1 directory has 200+ files. I want change the string from "Bangalore" to "Bangaluru" in all files in the D1 directory. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files

Hello friends, I have find a paticular string from the files present in my user for example: a username and password is hardcoded in multiple files which present in the my user.so I have to search about username in which files it is available.there are several dirctories are there,so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo message when file is empty.

If a file is empty then it must print the message "no data found" eg: if then echo "no data found" your help is really appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find a string in files

Hi, I have a directory nsk, files a.sql, b.sql, c.sql, d.sql, assuming that I have line 'INSERT ALL INTO abc' in a.sql and c.sql I need to list a filename, line number and complete line which contains ''INSERT ALL INTO abc' irrespective of case. also in my files mentioned 'INSERT ALL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnix
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find duplicate string in many different files

I have more than 100 files like this: SVEAVLTGPYGYT 2 SVEGNFEETQY 10 SVELGQGYEQY 28 SVERTGTGYT 6 SVGLADYNEQF 21 SVGQGYEQY 32 SVKTVLGYEQF 2 SVNNEQF 12 SVRDGLTNSPLH 3 SVRRDREGLEQF 11 SVRTSGSYEQY 17 SVSVSGSPLQETQY 78 SVVHSTSPEAF 59 SVVPGNGYT 75 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Trying to find files on a system that contain a certain string

I have tried just about every find and grep command possible and I cannot find these damn files!! This is the problem: On the node you just swapped in, there are 5 JPEG files whose names contain the word "intro" in some form. Find all five files from on the entire disk (i.e. from root /). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dukeu69
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find all .sh files in file system and need to replace the string inside .sh files

Hi All, I need to write a script to find all "*.sh" files in /home file system and if any string find "*.sh" files with the name vijay@gmail.com need to replace with vijay.bhaskar@gmail.com. I just understood about the find the command to search .sh files. Please help me on this. find / -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)