Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting the lines with nth column non-null Post 302966160 by Nenad on Tuesday 9th of February 2016 12:05:13 AM
Old 02-09-2016
Hi Don,

Thank you for editing and updating my post.
The command you sent gives this:

Code:
bash-3.2$ getconf LINE_MAX

I am not sure what is the max number of bytes of one line.
How can I find this?

If I try to use
Code:
awk

to get field 252 I get this:
Code:
awk: trying to access field 252

If I try to get field number 99:
Code:
bash-3.2$ awk -F';' '{print $99}' myFile
awk: record `9;02bbba84;311:480:f...' has too many fields
 record number 1

The OS version is
Code:
SunOS 5.10

I tried to get the
Code:
awk

version too but couldn't:
Code:
bash-3.2$ awk -W version
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1
bash-3.2$

Nenad

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check Null values in a file column by column if columns are Not NULLs

Hi All, I have a table with 10 columns. Some columns(2nd,4th,5th,7th,8th and 10th) are Not Null columns. I'll get a tab-delimited file and want to check col by col and generate seperate error code for each col eg:102 if 2nd col value is NULL and 104 if 4th col value is NULL so on... I am a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing 1st or nth column

Hi, I have a file whick is pipe delimited : 100| alpha| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | alpha| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | sweden |tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | US| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 100| factory| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | ABC| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | launch| tabgo|watch| ||||... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshanw
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get 3rd column of nth line

hi; i have a file.txt and its 9th, 10th and 11th line lines are: RbsLocalCell=S2C1 maxPortIP 4 (this is 9th line) RbsLocalCell=S3C1 maxPortIP 4 (this is 10th line) RbsLocalCell=S1C1 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Nth Column

Please help me how can I display every nth field present in a "|" delimited file. Ex: If a have a file with data as a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|k|l|m|n I want to display every 3rd feild which means the output should be c f k n Please help me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngkumar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to find top Nth values in Nth column

I have an awk script to find the maximum value of the 2nd column of a 2 column datafile, but I need to find the top 5 maximum values of the 2nd column. Here is the script that works for the maximum value. awk 'BEGIN { subjectmax=$1 ; max=0} $2 >= max {subjectmax=$1 ; max=$2} END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find for line with not null values at nth place in pipe delimited file

Hi, I am trying to find the lines in a pipe delimited file where 11th column has not null values. Any help is appreciated. Need help asap please. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikms
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove mth and nth column from a file?

Hi, i need to remove mth and nth column from a csv file. here m and n is not a specific number. it is a variable ex. m=2 n=5 now i need to remove the 2nd and 5th line.. Please help how to do that. Thanks!!! (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaq1xsw2
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break Column nth in a CSV file into two

Hi Guys, Need help with logic to break Column nth in a CSV file into two for e.g Refer below the second column as the nth column "abcd","","type/beta-version" need output in a following format "abcd","/place/asia/india/mumbai","/product/sw/tomcat","type/beta-version" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk-admirer
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking nth column and putting its value in n+1 column using awk

Hello Members, Need your expert opinion how to tackle below. I have an input file that looks like below: USS|AWCC|AFGAW|93|70 USSAA|Roshan TDCA|AFGTD|93|72,79 ALB|Vodafone|ALBVF|355|69 ALGEE|Wataniya (Nedjma)|DZAWT|213|50,550 I like output file in below format: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)