Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Csh - how to combine multiple commands in one line Post 302965986 by MadeInGermany on Friday 5th of February 2016 02:11:00 PM
Old 02-05-2016
Nested `commands` are problematic.
While ksh and bash allow the \ escape of the inner back-ticks, you have found the $(commands) that can be properly nested.
The csh does not even allow the \ escape of the inner back-ticks; nesting them is plain impossible. You have to use a variable for each step.
Code:
set temp_wsc=`which sapcontrol`; cd "`dirname $temp_wsc`"; unset temp_wsc; pwd -P

Once you have a variable, you can avoid the dirname by means of a variable modifier:
Code:
set temp_wsc=`which sapcontrol`; cd "$temp_wsc:h"; unset temp_wsc; pwd -P

Tip: you better have no space around the = in a variable assignment, and have command arguments in "quotes". This is even true for ksh and bash:
Code:
cd "$(dirname "$(which sapcontrol)")"; pwd -P

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 02-05-2016 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: consequent quoting
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting multiple sed commands on a single line

Hi, I want to make sed write a part of fileA (first 7 lines) to file1 and the rest of fileA to file2 in a single call and single line in sed. If I do the following: sed '1,7w file1; 8,$w file2' fileA I get only one file named file1 plus all the characters following file1. If I try to use curly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varelg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in single line

This is related to one of my previous post but now with a slight difference: I need the "Updated:" to be in one line as well as the "Information:" on one line as well. These are in multiple lines right now as seen below. These can have 2 or more lines that needs to be in one line. System name:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two lists From Multiple Grep commands.

I'm working with a file with an xml structure. I'd like to parse it down to just the bits i want. Here is and example of the file <message id="96352877" method="status"> <date rfc="Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:13:15 -0600" unix="1299967995" /> <services> <service id="facebook"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Commands on a Single Line

Hi There, I have a cronjob that executes a small script (few lines) that I am certain can be achieved in a single line. The functional objective is actually really simple; cmd var1 The '1' in 'var1' is actually derived from date (day of month) but the snag is when working with 1-9 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Random79
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems setting or exporting variable when using multiple commands from same line.

I am experimenting with some scripting as a way to learn more about it. I have a simple script that calls two other scripts. Each script echos some stuff to prove it ran and then sets a simple variable and exports it. I cannot get one of the variables to display back in the main calling script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottrif
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines into single line

Hi All , I have a file with below data # User@Host: xyz @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined: n2 SET timestamp=1396852200; select count(1) from table; # Time: 140406 23:30:01 # User@Host: abc @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple awk commands

Hi Team, I am getting input like below $ ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v asm | grep -v grep oracle 3246 1 0 00:03 ? 00:00:01 ora_pmon_racora1 oracle 4367 1 0 00:03 ? 00:00:01 ora_pmon_test1 oracle 6893 1 0 00:03 ? 00:00:01 ora_pmon_gipora1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple commands

I have the following sh-script: konsole -T todo -e vi todo.txt & konsole -T window1 -e ssh user@server & konsole -T window2 -e ssh user@server2 -e cd directory & The first two lines are working fine. The first opens a txt-file, the second opens a ssh-connection. The third line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andre666
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine 2 Commands

Hello, I have the following code. I wonder if it can be combined into 1 command. y=`ls -1| tail -n 1` m=${y%.abc} Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)