Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script? Post 302965676 by cjcox on Tuesday 2nd of February 2016 12:39:30 AM
Old 02-02-2016
You can configure "sudo" to execute commands without password (see NOPASSWD option). Man sudo, sudoers.

If you're on something other than Linux, you might have to install a sudo package. Most Linux distros include it in almost all config variations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch User in within a Shell Script

Hi Experts, I'm trying to write a shell script to stop few things where i have to use another user to execute a command. Otherwise it will not work. Your help is really appreciated Thanks, (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

switch user from local user to root in perl

Hi Gurus, I have a script that requires me to switch from local user to root. Anyone who has an idea on this since when i switch user to root it requires me to input root password. It seems that i need to use expect module here, but i don't know how to create the object for this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch user inside shell script

Hi, I am trying to create one script where I have to login as another user inside the script to exeute some commands How can i achieve this? Many thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prarat
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to switch user using shell script ?

Hi, script1.sh script2.sh script3.sh From above, script1.sh is the main script which is executed from root user, creates installation directory, changing ownership and execution rights etc..etc.. and finally calls scripot2.sh and script3.sh to create the database as well as for post... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to switch to other users using su -user from root

Hi all, I have a small problem. When I log in as root and try to switch to any other user using su -user, then it is giving an error saying libncurses.so permission denied. Can you help me? Thank you in advance. Sai. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai2krishna
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch between root and user in the same script.

I am writing a korn shell script where i need to switch to root in between and again exit from root to normal user and continue other commands. Is that possible to switch between these two in the same script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to switch user in shell scripting (without root)?

Hi everyone: I need create a script that must switch user and then must execute certain commands, sadly neither my user nor the second user have no privileges for su - , I've tried everything but seems su doesn't accept input redirection, please help me, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to switch user in shell script?

HI in a server we can't login with root user directly but i can login with different user and then i can switch to root user by su command Requirement is there anyway where i can write a script without mentioning password in file as mentioning the root password is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies
csp_helper(1)							  USER COMMANDS 						     csp_helper(1)

NAME
      csp_helper - A collection of caspar helper scripts

SYNOPSIS
      csp_install dir (directory) file (file)

csp_mkdircp dir (directory) file (file)

csp_scp_keep_mode h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

csp_sucp h ([user@]host) dir (directory) file (file)

DESCRIPTION
      The  scripts  csp_install,  csp_mkdircp,	csp_scp_keep_mode  and csp_sucp are helpers for caspar(7). These scripts typically are not invoked
      directly, but via a Makefile which uses caspar. See the notes on	csp_PUSH  in  caspar(7)  for  information  on  how  to	link  csp_install,
      csp_scp_keep_mode and csp_sucp to caspar.

install DESCRIPTION
      csp_install creates the required directory (if needed) and installs the file, preserving timestamps. It uses install(1).

install EXAMPLES
       csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS='--owner=www-data --group=www-data' 
	csp_INSTALL_MODE=ugo=r 
	csp_install /srv/www index.html

csp_INSTALL_MODE=u=rwx,go= csp_install /usr/local/sbin mkpasswd

install ENVIRONMENT
      csp_install honors csp_INSTALL_OPTIONS and csp_INSTALL_MODE (default is u=rw,go=r).

mkdircp DESCRIPTION
      csp_mkdircp calls mkdir(1) and cp(1).

scp_keep_mode DESCRIPTION
      csp_scp_keep_mode  uses  ssh to copy a file to a remote host, keeping its file permission mode. The trick used is a combination of mktemp(1)
      and mv(1).  Useful if you'd like to be sure a file gets installed e.g. group writable, without fiddling with permission bits on  the  remote
      host.

scp_keep_mode EXAMPLE
	chmod g+w rc
	csp_scp_keep_mode root@gandalf /etc/uruk rc

scp_keep_mode ENVIRONMENT
      csp_scp_keep_mode honors csp_SSH ("ssh" by default).

sucp DESCRIPTION
      csp_sucp calls cat(1) from within sudo(1) from within ssh(1). This allows one to copy files to accounts on hosts one can only reach by call-
      ing sudo on the ssh-reachable remote host.

Typically, one wants to install a root-owned file, but one does not want to allow access to the root-account directly  from  ssh.  Typically
      sudo is used as an extra line of defense.

sucp EXAMPLES
      Some examples:

csp_sucp rms@bilbo /etc fstab

csp_sucp monty-python commit/ trailer.txt

sucp BUGS
      If  NOPASSWD  is	not  set in the sudoers(5) file, and one's timestamp is expired, csp_sucp will forward the sudo password prompt. The given
      password will be echoed on the console!

AUTHOR
      Joost van Baal-Ili

SEE ALSO
      caspar(7) The caspar homepage is at http://mdcc.cx/caspar/ .

csp_helper 20120514						      14 mai 2012						       csp_helper(1)