Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Upgrade from OL 6.3 to 6.5
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Upgrade from OL 6.3 to 6.5 Post 302965641 by cjcox on Monday 1st of February 2016 12:44:00 PM
Old 02-01-2016
Do you mean upgrading from RHEL 6.3 to 6.5 (or better, to latest)?

I'm going to guess that OL is Oracle Linux... correct?

Of course Oracle Linux is different from Red Hat, though they try to maintain compatibility. I wouldn't think it's a problem to upgrade. Generally speaking (especially if there is no support) you should try to upgrade to the latest on version 6 (does look like 6.5 is the latest for Oracle Linux).

If you have doubts about what it might do, again, relatively safe, you might want to check with Oracle support. Generallly speaking (Red Hat, CentOS) updates on the major branch are pretty safe and you can control upgrades to the kernel and bouncing of services... this is "normal" and does not require a "building up from scratch" in fact keeping your 6.x RHEL/CentOS (and presumably Oracle Linux) based system up to date is the best way to get all the security fixes for the system.

I'll keep quiet on this and see if an Oracle Linux user can confirm...

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

help for Upgrade

hi administrator i need help to find solution for this . i have sun fire v880 server with configuration metioned below sun fire v880 2*750 MHz UltraSPARC 111 with 4 GB Memory ( 256*16 ) 36*6 GB hard disks( Internal) with other configuration and now i need to upgrade this server.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhasanka
3 Replies

2. AIX

OS upgrade

Hello, fellows: I have an old H80 with AIX 4.3, I want to upgrade to AIX 5.3, is this possible? I have read in some documentation that is necesary do it version to version, I mean... 4.3->5.1 5.1->5.2 5.2->5.3, anybody have this experience? I will aprecciate yor help. Kind regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

3. AIX

upgrade 5.2 to 5.3

Hello ,, I have OS AIX 5.2 ML 5200-05 Model : 9113-550 we want upgrade 5.2 to 5.3 how I can upgrade 5.2 to 5.3? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX122
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Upgrade

Dear all, Requirement: Upgrade RHEL 3 to RHEL 5. Question: How to plan the upgrade? Present state: Know that there is no direct upgrade path visible. And RH does not support direct upgrade. H/W: HP Proliant DL 380 G4 TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
1 Replies
GROUPD(8)							      cluster								 GROUPD(8)

NAME
groupd - compatibility daemon for fenced, dlm_controld and gfs_controld SYNOPSIS
groupd [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The groupd daemon and libgroup library are used by the fenced, dlm_controld and gfs_controld daemons when they are operating in clus- ter2-compatible mode to perform a rolling cluster upgrade from cluster2 to cluster3. See cman(5) for more information on the upgrading configuration option needed to perform a rolling upgrade. When the upgrading option is enabled, cman adds the following to the online configuration: <group groupd_compat="1"/> This setting causes the cman init script to start the groupd daemon, and causes the groupd, fenced, dlm_controld and gfs_controld daemons to operate in the old cluster2 mode so they will be compatible with cluster2 nodes in the cluster that have not yet been upgraded. The upgrading setting, including the groupd_compat setting, cannot be changed in a running cluster. The entire cluster must be taken off- line to change these because the new cluster3 default modes are not compatible with the old cluster2 modes. The upgrading/compat settings cause the new cluster3 daemons to run the old cluster2 code and protocols. OPTIONS
Command line options override a corresponding setting in cluster.conf. -D Enable debugging to stderr and don't fork. -L Enable debugging to log file. -g num groupd compatibility mode, 0 off, 1 on. Default 0. -h Print a help message describing available options, then exit. -V Print program version information, then exit. SEE ALSO
cman(5), fenced(8), dlm_controld(8), gfs_controld(8) cluster 2009-01-19 GROUPD(8)