Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Speed up the loop in shell script Post 302965608 by RudiC on Monday 1st of February 2016 05:28:12 AM
Old 02-01-2016
Try
Code:
( for i in 10.1.1.{1..254} ; do ( ping -n -c 1 -w 1 $i &>/dev/null && printf "%-16s %s\n" $i responded ) & done ; wait )
10.1.1.1         responded
10.1.1.xx        responded
10.1.1.xx        responded

Last edited by RudiC; 02-01-2016 at 06:40 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If then else loop in Shell script

Hi Following is the code . When I give input as Bangalore,its dospalying Welcome to Hitech City. But say , if I select Delhi or US, its not displaying the corresponding message. Its still says Welcome to Hitech City. Seems that it not entering in the elif part. Please suggest. #!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with loop in a shell script

I just want to write a little script, that reads the lines from a file, echos somthing in a new tmp.file and then do some commands whith the tmp.files. while read -r line do echo "TEST=" > tmp.$$ echo "$line" >> tmp.$$ any_command < tmp.$$ done < $INPUTFILE But I think I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elifchen
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop in shell script

Dear experts, i am quite new to shell script please any one can help me in this regard i would like write a script which takes input in the form >./Test.sh a,10,b,20,c,30... in this way i can give input in any number which is not constant in the end through loop i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using loop

Hi everyone, I have n number of data in my file "temp" in following order.In each line table_name and column_name are different.input data is in same format each query in three lines. ALTER TABLE table_name ADD ( column_name1 VARCHAR2(10), column_name2 VARCHAR2(70) ); ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisha
23 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoiding For Loop in Shell Script

I am looking to a solution to the following problem. I have a very large file that looks something like this: Each group of three numbers on each line are three probabilities that sum to one. I want to output the maximum for each group of three. So desired output would be: or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydrabane
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the For loop shell script

Hi, I have multiple files in a directory. Each file will have a header.I have to check if any of the files has 0 rows other than the header then I have to delete the files. Here “ Empty file” in my case means a file has header information but no data. I have to delete such files. If the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesnar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop in shell script

Hi Friends, I have a file. the content is as below: file1: /A/B/C/abc.txt 2013-07-28 13:50:00,2013-07-31 01:00:00,5,710 /A/B/C/xyz.txt 2011-09-21 18:30:00,2013-07-30 06:15:00,15,65135 2009-11-09 18:00:00,2011-09-02 09:00:00,5,12345 2013-07-28 13:50:00,2013-07-31 01:00:00,5,710 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed up bash loop?

I am running the below bash loop on all the files of a specific type (highlighted in bold) in a directory. There are 4 awk commands that use the input files to search another and look for a match. The input files range from 27 - 259 and are a list of names. The file that is searched is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Speed up shell script

Hello, I am basic level shell script developer. I have developed the following script. The shell script basically tracking various files containing certain strings. I am finding options to make the script run more faster. Any help/suggestion would be appreciated :) #! /bin/bash # Greps for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhanuprasad
6 Replies
rpmatch(3)						     Library Functions Manual							rpmatch(3)

NAME
rpmatch - Determines whether a response is affirmative or negative LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int rpmatch( const char *response); PARAMETERS
User input entered in response to a question that requires an affirmative or negative answer. DESCRIPTION
The rpmatch() function determines whether the string value of the response parameter matches the affirmative or negative response expres- sion as specified by the LC_MESSAGES category in the program's current locale. Both response expressions, defined in the locale, may be extended regular expressions. A possible value of the affirmative expression, yesexpr, for a English-language locale is "^([yY]|[yY][eE][sS])". This expression will match any value of the response parameter that has consists of the letter Y (in uppercase or lowercase) or the letters YES (in any mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters). EXAMPLES
The following example requests a response from the user and uses the rpmatch() function to determine if the response is affirmative or neg- ative. #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <locale.h> #include <string.h> #define SLENGTH 80 main() { char str[SLENGTH], *eol; int ans; (void)setlocale(LC_ALL, ""); printf("Do you want to perform this operation: "); fgets(str, SLENGTH, stdin); if ((eol = strchr(str, ' ')) != NULL) *eol = ''; /* Replace newline with null */ else return; /* Line entered too long */ ans = rpmatch(str); if (ans == 1) printf("You responded affirmatively "); else if (ans == 0) printf("You responded negatively "); else printf("Your answer did not match "); } RETURN VALUES
A value of 1 is returned if the string value of the response parameter is matched by the affirmative expression; a value of 0 (zero) is returned if the string value of the response parameter is matched by the negative expression. If neither expression matches the string value of the response parameter, a value of -1 is returned. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: grep(1). Functions: regcomp(3), regexec(3), setlocale(3). Files: locale(4). delim off rpmatch(3)