Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing search using grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimizing search using grep Post 302965561 by Aia on Saturday 30th of January 2016 09:56:56 PM
Old 01-30-2016
Still you haven't said about the output.

Let's assume your log has the following:

Code:
cat junaid_subhani.log

Code:
StringA and StringB and StringC counts as none
StringA and StringB counts as two times
StringB and StringA counts as two times
StringA alone counts as one time
StringB and StringC counts as none
StringB alone counts as one time
StringC alone counts as one time
StringC and StringB counts as none

variable total equals seven. Is this correct?

If not, please, post a representative portion of your log file and current script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern by grep

hai folks, i am vijay very new to this website. My query: Search patterns from root directory to all directories by using grep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to search -n in a file with grep

can anybody let me know how can i search for "-n" in a text file; or if my file name is "-n" (which is legal in Unix) how do i deal with that? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamilami
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search using grep

Hi all, I have a folder with many files. I need to get all the filenames with the value "<f id=audio-time>*:*:*</f>" word. * may be any integer. I used find . -type f -exec grep -H '<f id=audio-time>.:.</f>' {} \; command to get. but i am not able to find the correct values. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Speeding/Optimizing GREP search on CSV files

Hi all, I have problem with searching hundreds of CSV files, the problem is that search is lasting too long (over 5min). Csv files are "," delimited, and have 30 fields each line, but I always grep same 4 fields - so is there a way to grep just those 4 fields to speed-up search. Example:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Search for both First and last word

Hi Pretty sure this is very simple hence im banging my head o the wall as to why i cant get this to work: Im greping against many files where there will be the following string: Date: Thu, Aug 23 2001 09:27 PM (of course values such as date ,time and PM/AM will vary.) Im trying to grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duonut
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for a pattern using grep

Hi I am facing the below problem. I have set of lines in which i have to search for only the line which matches with the pattren "/" only. input:- /*+ some text */ /*+ some text */ /* Remove rows from a table of survey results. */ /* Add a survey respondent's name and answers. */ /*... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: grep exact search

Hi, x=GATE ps -ef|grep pmon grid 552 1 0 Aug08 ? 00:00:51 asm_pmon_+ASM1 oracle 4314 1 0 Aug08 ? 00:04:08 ora_pmon_GATE1 oracle 5018 1351 0 10:14 pts/1 00:00:00 grep pmon oracle 7329 1 0 Aug08 ? 00:02:19 ora_pmon_NRID1 ps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for search.

hi, i got files delimited by |^ character. eg. apple|^ball|^cat|^dog|^egg i need to find if the above file contains | (pipe ) character inside the data.eg. apple|^ball|^cat|^d|og|^egg. above file contains | character in the dog data. how can i search that. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
REDIFF(1)							     Man pages								 REDIFF(1)

NAME
rediff, editdiff - fix offsets and counts of a hand-edited diff SYNOPSIS
rediff ORIGINAL EDITED rediff EDITED rediff {[--help] | [--version]} editdiff FILE editdiff {[--help] | [--version]} DESCRIPTION
You can use rediff to correct a hand-edited unified diff. Take a copy of the diff you want to edit, and edit it without changing any offsets or counts (the lines that begin "@@"). Then run rediff, telling it the name of the original diff file and the name of the one you have edited, and it will output the edited diff file but with corrected offsets and counts. A small script, editdiff, is provided for editing a diff file in-place. The types of changes that are currently handled are: o Modifying the text of any file content line (of course). o Adding new line insertions or deletions. o Adding, changing or removing context lines. Lines at the context horizon are dealt with by adjusting the offset and/or count. o Adding a single hunk (@@-prefixed section). o Removing multiple hunk (@@-prefixed sections). Alternatively, if only one argument is provided, it is taken to be the edited file and the counts and offsets are adjusted as appropriate. Some assumptions are made when used in this mode. See recountdiff(1) for more information. OPTIONS
--help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of rediff. SEE ALSO
interdiff(1), recountdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Package maintainer patchutils 13 May 2002 REDIFF(1)