Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Java process showing high virtual memory Post 302965373 by Don Cragun on Thursday 28th of January 2016 01:52:23 AM
Old 01-28-2016
I'm sorry, but knowing that a single process is showing high virtual memory utilization and is showing comparatively lesser virtual memory consumption seems to imply that two people looking at the same process see it's memory consumption differently. My crystal ball isn't seeing anything obvious to suggest which observer might be correct (if either observer is correct), nor is it able to suggest what to investigate to substantiate either claim.

If we could see the code, we might be able to suggest conditions under which it might use a lot of memory.

If we can't see the code, we can make a lot of assumptions that might or might not apply to some process no matter what language is used to write that process? If we can't see the code, can't see anything other than a conflicting statement about memory usage, and have no idea what the process is doing; there is absolutely no way that tell you what, if anything, is wrong with your code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i get The total size of the process in virtual memory om GB or MB

Hello all im using the ps -ef "args vsz" | some.exe but the result is in kb , is there some kind of way or flag ( didnt found in the ps man ) to convert me this data to GB or MG in human readable format ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to find and kill a process with high memory utilization

Hi Unix Gurus i am somewhat new to unix scripting so need your help to create a script as below. # This script would find the process consuming memory beyond a certain #limit. if the meemory consumption is more than 100% for a period of 1 # minute for the specific process. the script would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinforlinux
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process self-exec and virtual memory size

Hello all, To do a self-exec or self-restart of a process when it crosses the threshold memory limit, I use the value of virtual memory size field from /proc/$pid/stat file and do a self-exec. According to man 5 proc vsize %lu Virtual memory size in bytes. I just want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check high cpu utilization for java process

Hello Team, I need help in preparing script to check for high cpu utilisation for java process. I have many java process on my system which consumes high cpu so i have to monitor it using script. ---------- Post updated 12-10-10 at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous update was 12-09-10 at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job and shell script to kill a process if memory gets to high

Hello, I'd like to set a cron job that runs a shell script every 30 minutes or so to restart a java based service if the memory gets above 80%. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance! - Ryan (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
19 Replies

6. HP-UX

Virtual Memory Usage a Process

Hi all, Is there any command which shows the virtual memory usage of a particular process in HP-UX machine. I have tried with ps, top but could not get what I want. Kindly provide me a solution. Thanks in Advance ARD (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ard
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Memory conmsumption by Java server is very high on Linux compared to Soalris

Hello All, We have a jave server running on both linux and Solaris environments. On solaris,it consumes only 600-700MB whereas it goes upto 21G in Linux. I am monitoring the memory consumption through top command. Is this high memory consumption expected in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

8. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 7.1 on Power 750 is very slow with no high memory or process consumption

Hi, This thread has been posted before on linuxquestions.org, but no answer, maybe because this is unix question and not linux. I'm posting the same thread here, hope I can get an answer from someone in the meantime, I wish I could post of emergency thread but it needs bits which I don't have :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLuViAn
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

HP-UX server showing high memory utilization

Hi All, I am using HP-UX 11i v1(B11.11) servers for my work and its memory (RAM) utilization is consistenly 80% for the last one year. Though I am not facing any issues with this high memory utilization I just want to know the below queries: 1) Is it the default behavior of HP-UX systems? 2)... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
20 Replies
shmid_ds(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       shmid_ds(4)

NAME
shmid_ds - Defines a shared memory region SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/shm.h> struct shmid_ds{ struct ipc_perm shm_perm; int shm_segsz; u_short shm_lpid; u_short shm_cpid; u_short shm_nattch; time_t shm_atime; time_t shm_dtime; time_t shm_ctime; }; DESCRIPTION
The shmid_ds structure defines a shared memory region associated with a shared memory region ID. There is one shared memory region per ID. Collectively, the shared memory regions are maintained in a shared memory table, with the shared memory region IDs identifying the entries in the table. The IPC permissions for the shared memory regions are implemented in a separate, but associated, ipc_perm structure. A shared memory region is created indirectly via the shmget() call. If shmget() is called with a non-existent shared memory region ID, the kernel allocates a new shmid_ds structure, initializes it, and returns the ID that is to be associated with the region. The kernel allocates actual memory of shm_segsz bytes only when a process attaches a region to its address space. Attached regions are maintained in a separate region table. The entries in the shared memory table point to the associated attached regions in the region ta- ble. The same shared memory region can be attached multiple times, by the same or different processes. Each attachment of the region cre- ates a new entry in the region table. After a process attaches a shared memory region, the region becomes part of the process's virtual address space. Processes access shared memory regions by using the same machine instructions used to access any virtual address. FIELDS
The ipc_perm structure that defines permissions for shared memory operations. See NOTES. The size of the shared memory region, in bytes. The process ID of the process that created the shared memory region ID. The process ID of the last process that performed a shmat() or shmdt() operation on the shared memory region. The number of processes that currently have this region attached. The time of the last shmat() operation. The time of the last shmdt() operation. The time of the last shmctl() operation that changed a member of the shmid_ds structure. NOTES
The shm_perm field identifies the associated ipc_perm structure that defines the permissions for operations on the shared memory region. The ipc_perm structure (from the sys/ipc.h header file) is shown here. struct ipc_perm { ushort uid; /* owner's user id */ ushort gid; /* owner's group id */ ushort cuid; /* creator's user id */ ushort cgid; /* creator's group id */ ushort mode; /* access modes */ ushort seq; /* slot usage sequence number */ key_t key; /* key */ }; The mode field is a nine-bit field that contains the permissions for shared memory operations. The first three bits identify owner permis- sions; the second three bits identify group permissions; and the last three bits identify other permissions. In each group, the first bit indicates read permission; the second bit indicates write permission; and the third bit is not used. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: shmat(2), shmdt(2), shmctl(2), shmget(2) delim off shmid_ds(4)