Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to extract certain lines from big file Post 302965123 by Don Cragun on Sunday 24th of January 2016 04:24:38 AM
Old 01-24-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad man
Hi RudiC

I am getting the error cannot be parsed. for this sed command.
Please find below how i used.
transnum="ABC160120XYZ0983921"

Code:
sed -n '/"$transnum"/ {H;g}; /"$transnum"/,/EOT/p;h' $file > $file_new

please suggest
Shell variables are not expanded within single quotes. You didn't correctly copy the script RudiC provided. And, this code depends on a feature that is not supported by some (standards-conforming) versions of sed. (I'm not sure if it will work without the semicolon I added on AIX or not; but it won't work on OS X without the semicolon I added.) Try:
Code:
sed -n "/~$transnum~/ {H;g;}; /~$transnum~/,/EOT/p;h" "$file" > "$file_new"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Deleting lines from big file.

Hi, I have a big (2.7 GB) text file. Each lines has '|' saperator to saperate each columns. I want to delete those lines which has text like '|0|0|0|0|0' I tried: sed '/|0|0|0|0|0/d' test.txt Unfortunately, it scans the file but does nothing. file content sample:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete first 100 lines from a BIG File

Hi, I need a unix command to delete first n (say 100) lines from a log file. I need to delete some lines from the file without using any temporary file. I found sed -i is an useful command for this but its not supported in my environment( AIX 6.1 ). File size is approx 100MB. Thanks in... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unohu
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain entries from big file:Request to check

Hi all I have a big file which I have attached here. And, I have to fetch certain entries and arrange in 5 columns Name Drug DAP ID disease approved or notIn the attached file data is arranged with tab separated columns in this way: and other data is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain columns from big data

The dataset I'm working on is about 450G, with about 7000 colums and 30,000,000 rows. I want to extract about 2000 columns from the original file to form a new file. I have the list of number of the columns I need, but don't know how to extract them. Thanks! (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: happypoker
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy only some lines from very big file?

Dear all, I have stuck with this problem for some days. I have a very big file, this file can not open by vi command. There are 200 loops in this file, in each loop will have one line like this: GWA quasiparticle energy with Z factor (eV) And I need 98 lines next after this line. Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamnu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Big and continuous regions

Hi all, I have a file like this I want to extract only those regions which are big and continous chr1 3280000 3440000 chr1 3440000 3920000 chr1 3600000 3920000 # region coming within the 3440000 3920000. so i don't want it to be printed in output chr1 3920000 4800000 chr1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha_sastry
2 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)