Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX VIOS backupios -mksysb - does it need to be served by a NIM server ? Post 302965099 by maraixadm on Saturday 23rd of January 2016 05:51:32 PM
Old 01-23-2016
going with NIMres for HMC

thanks for your reply. I sorted this some more, and figured out that if I did mkdvd on the mksysb created with 'backupios -mksysb' then I'd have a DVD image which I could present to the VIO for an install boot. (Question is how - do I want to burn time burning it to media ? Or get a NIM server together...)

Anyway, I decided to go with the backupios nimres/HMC restore path - if the HMC is good enough to provide me with an ad hoc nimserver to restore a VIO, I'll take it...

(My AIX admin skills are acquired via OJT & managing development envs... I'm finding the places where my mental gymnastics are still novice-level... One reason building a NIM server would be a good exercise, I now remember that the previous shop I worked in had a NIM server we used ubiquitously to install Linux images, it was a good thing to have.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NIM mksysb recovery

I have multiple LPARS on p650 with mix of AIX5.2 and AIX5.1 with different rml level My understanding is creating mksysb nim on NIM server is for new installation of LPARS Then; How do I do mksysb backup on existing lpars for recovery purpose or how do I do all mksysb to a NFS mounted Filesystem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melindaj
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIM - mksysb of remote server

Hi, I'm trying to use my NIM server to get a mksysb of an lpar on another machine on my network. I'm trying to define a resource through smitty and i've entered the resource name, Server of resource & location of resource, they are as follows Resource Name : gmt_fail_mksysb Server of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to automate mksysb via nim in AIX 5.3

#!/bin/ksh # # nim_mksysb # get mksysb from each client machine specified with -m. If no # machines specified, get mksysb from ALL machines. -r flag says # remove oldest existing mksysb for the machines being backed up. # use -n no_make flag with -r to remove a generation of mksysb, #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: barkath
0 Replies

4. AIX

NIM client mksysb restore

Can a NIM client mksysb restore be performed via NIM (smitty nim) without the NIM client machine having the NIM server's IP and hostname in its /etc/hosts file? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
10 Replies

5. AIX

nim mksysb buffer overflow error

Hi, I am trying to backup a system ("client") through a slow network using "nim mksysb" on a nim server ("master") The backup starts, but doesn't success. Thanks if you can help me to resolve this problem : Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg... Creating list of files to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
2 Replies

6. AIX

how to create a package from mksysb via nim ?

Hello, I need to install "bos.adt.libm 5.3.0.0" on a server (AIX5.3 power 5). How to install it from a nim mksysb of an another partition ? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5L nim mksysb command

Hi All, Please excuse the possibly naive question but I'm trying to clone/install a new AIX 5.3 LPAR on a p570 from a mksysb image file using nim. Has anyone done this before and if so, what would the exact command look like? Does it even remotely resemble something like nim -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: combustables
1 Replies

8. AIX

mksysb restoration using NIM

Hi, I just want to ask whether anyone has experience on restoring mksysb backup in NIM. We have taken the mksysb backup and the SPOT has been configured on NIM also. I just want to know the checkpoints before doing this. Is there any checkpoints we need to do? Do we need to unmirrorvg? This... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
12 Replies

9. AIX

mksysb using NIM

I am implementing mksysb backups using NIM. I am using nimsh as client communication and mksysb backup are working fine, but this requires remote logon to be enabled for root. Any thoughts on how can I implement mksysb backups using NIM without enabling remote logon for "root" ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mk8570
1 Replies

10. AIX

NIM - install up-to-date VIOS ?

Hello, Is it possible to install up-to-date vios in one NIM operation ? For example I have vios v2.1 DVD and current vios version is v2.2.1.3(we update to fixpack v2.2.1.1_FP25 and apply service pack 2.2.1.3-FP25-SP01) I know it's possible if we install AIX using NIM - we just update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)