Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape? Post 302965070 by vbe on Saturday 23rd of January 2016 04:51:34 AM
Old 01-23-2016
It looks more like a corrupt support (media) rather than a bad file... Have you tried cleaning the heads, check the hmmm what is it DAT? or real tape or??? DAT can go faulty if not properly rewound before loading...
I had a case where a sysadmin was desperate and asked me to help him, when I ejected the DAT to look at its state Smilie I noticed the tape was broken Smilie ...
Poor guy was trying for hours...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to recover a single file from tape

Hi I have taken a backup using /usr/sbin/ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt/0n I want to recover one file from it but finding it hard nut to crack. Can you please give me a simple way of recovering it? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover deleted file in unix

hi after using rm command how to recover the deleted file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a corrupt tar file

Hey there I am just looking for a way to find a corrupt tar file. I want to write a script to help sift through the 1000's of tar files we go through daily and move any corrupt ones to a different directory structure. Is there an easy way to do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: car2nst2006
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipped tar file is corrupt

Hello, I am currently dumping 30-40 reports on a Unix folder located here /home/apps/reports/prode/excel I use K-shell to do this task. In that, I use the gzip command to compress these files. I want to be able to use a tar command to first load the entire directory into one file then gzip that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to recover the truncate file in unix

how to recover the file in unix. Thanks in advance.:wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate tar file on tape

I've got a KSH/AIX question that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I've got a tape archive program that "tar's" data to a tape. After creating the archive, I'd like to somehow verify that the tape is actually good. So, what I'd like to do as a simple "sanity" check that I can read the tape... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dernsdorff
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies
dat_strerror(3DAT)				     Direct Access Transport Library Functions					dat_strerror(3DAT)

NAME
dat_strerror - convert a DAT return code into human readable strings SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -ldat [ library... ] #include <dat/udat.h> DAT_RETURN dat_strerror( IN DAT_RETURN return, OUT const char **major_message, OUT const char **minor_message ) PARAMETERS
return DAT function return value. message A pointer to a character string for the return. DESCRIPTION
The dat_strerror() function converts a DAT return code into human readable strings. The major_message is a string-converted DAT_TYPE_STA- TUS, while minor_message is a string-converted DAT_SUBTYPE_STATUS. If the return of this function is not DAT_SUCCESS, the values of major_message and minor_message are not defined. If an undefined DAT_RETURN value was passed as the return parameter, the operation fails with DAT_INVALID_PARAMETER returned. The operation succeeds when DAT_SUCCESS is passed in as the return parameter. RETURN VALUES
DAT_SUCCESS The operation was successful. DAT_INVALID_PARAMETER Invalid parameter. The return value is invalid. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard: uDAPL, 1.1, 1.2 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libdat(3LIB), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Jul 2004 dat_strerror(3DAT)