Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to extract certain lines from big file Post 302965024 by RudiC on Friday 22nd of January 2016 10:46:10 AM
Old 01-22-2016
Please use code tags as required by forum rules, and please show your attempts so far as well. Is above the exact file structure? No empty lines? Is "EOT" exactly this string? Or a token/control char?

Last edited by RudiC; 01-23-2016 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Deleting lines from big file.

Hi, I have a big (2.7 GB) text file. Each lines has '|' saperator to saperate each columns. I want to delete those lines which has text like '|0|0|0|0|0' I tried: sed '/|0|0|0|0|0/d' test.txt Unfortunately, it scans the file but does nothing. file content sample:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete first 100 lines from a BIG File

Hi, I need a unix command to delete first n (say 100) lines from a log file. I need to delete some lines from the file without using any temporary file. I found sed -i is an useful command for this but its not supported in my environment( AIX 6.1 ). File size is approx 100MB. Thanks in... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unohu
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain entries from big file:Request to check

Hi all I have a big file which I have attached here. And, I have to fetch certain entries and arrange in 5 columns Name Drug DAP ID disease approved or notIn the attached file data is arranged with tab separated columns in this way: and other data is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain columns from big data

The dataset I'm working on is about 450G, with about 7000 colums and 30,000,000 rows. I want to extract about 2000 columns from the original file to form a new file. I have the list of number of the columns I need, but don't know how to extract them. Thanks! (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: happypoker
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy only some lines from very big file?

Dear all, I have stuck with this problem for some days. I have a very big file, this file can not open by vi command. There are 200 loops in this file, in each loop will have one line like this: GWA quasiparticle energy with Z factor (eV) And I need 98 lines next after this line. Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamnu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Big and continuous regions

Hi all, I have a file like this I want to extract only those regions which are big and continous chr1 3280000 3440000 chr1 3440000 3920000 chr1 3600000 3920000 # region coming within the 3440000 3920000. so i don't want it to be printed in output chr1 3920000 4800000 chr1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha_sastry
2 Replies
GIT-SHOW-REF(1)                                                     Git Manual                                                     GIT-SHOW-REF(1)

NAME
git-show-ref - List references in a local repository SYNOPSIS
git show-ref [-q|--quiet] [--verify] [--head] [-d|--dereference] [-s|--hash[=<n>]] [--abbrev[=<n>]] [--tags] [--heads] [--] [<pattern>...] git show-ref --exclude-existing[=<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Displays references available in a local repository along with the associated commit IDs. Results can be filtered using a pattern and tags can be dereferenced into object IDs. Additionally, it can be used to test whether a particular ref exists. By default, shows the tags, heads, and remote refs. The --exclude-existing form is a filter that does the inverse. It reads refs from stdin, one ref per line, and shows those that don't exist in the local repository. Use of this utility is encouraged in favor of directly accessing files under the .git directory. OPTIONS
--head Show the HEAD reference, even if it would normally be filtered out. --tags, --heads Limit to "refs/heads" and "refs/tags", respectively. These options are not mutually exclusive; when given both, references stored in "refs/heads" and "refs/tags" are displayed. -d, --dereference Dereference tags into object IDs as well. They will be shown with "^{}" appended. -s, --hash[=<n>] Only show the SHA-1 hash, not the reference name. When combined with --dereference the dereferenced tag will still be shown after the SHA-1. --verify Enable stricter reference checking by requiring an exact ref path. Aside from returning an error code of 1, it will also print an error message if --quiet was not specified. --abbrev[=<n>] Abbreviate the object name. When using --hash, you do not have to say --hash --abbrev; --hash=n would do. -q, --quiet Do not print any results to stdout. When combined with --verify this can be used to silently check if a reference exists. --exclude-existing[=<pattern>] Make git show-ref act as a filter that reads refs from stdin of the form "^(?:<anything>s)?<refname>(?:^{})?$" and performs the following actions on each: (1) strip "^{}" at the end of line if any; (2) ignore if pattern is provided and does not head-match refname; (3) warn if refname is not a well-formed refname and skip; (4) ignore if refname is a ref that exists in the local repository; (5) otherwise output the line. <pattern>... Show references matching one or more patterns. Patterns are matched from the end of the full name, and only complete parts are matched, e.g. master matches refs/heads/master, refs/remotes/origin/master, refs/tags/jedi/master but not refs/heads/mymaster or refs/remotes/master/jedi. OUTPUT
The output is in the format: <SHA-1 ID> <space> <reference name>. $ git show-ref --head --dereference 832e76a9899f560a90ffd62ae2ce83bbeff58f54 HEAD 832e76a9899f560a90ffd62ae2ce83bbeff58f54 refs/heads/master 832e76a9899f560a90ffd62ae2ce83bbeff58f54 refs/heads/origin 3521017556c5de4159da4615a39fa4d5d2c279b5 refs/tags/v0.99.9c 6ddc0964034342519a87fe013781abf31c6db6ad refs/tags/v0.99.9c^{} 055e4ae3ae6eb344cbabf2a5256a49ea66040131 refs/tags/v1.0rc4 423325a2d24638ddcc82ce47be5e40be550f4507 refs/tags/v1.0rc4^{} ... When using --hash (and not --dereference) the output format is: <SHA-1 ID> $ git show-ref --heads --hash 2e3ba0114a1f52b47df29743d6915d056be13278 185008ae97960c8d551adcd9e23565194651b5d1 03adf42c988195b50e1a1935ba5fcbc39b2b029b ... EXAMPLE
To show all references called "master", whether tags or heads or anything else, and regardless of how deep in the reference naming hierarchy they are, use: git show-ref master This will show "refs/heads/master" but also "refs/remote/other-repo/master", if such references exists. When using the --verify flag, the command requires an exact path: git show-ref --verify refs/heads/master will only match the exact branch called "master". If nothing matches, git show-ref will return an error code of 1, and in the case of verification, it will show an error message. For scripting, you can ask it to be quiet with the "--quiet" flag, which allows you to do things like git show-ref --quiet --verify -- "refs/heads/$headname" || echo "$headname is not a valid branch" to check whether a particular branch exists or not (notice how we don't actually want to show any results, and we want to use the full refname for it in order to not trigger the problem with ambiguous partial matches). To show only tags, or only proper branch heads, use "--tags" and/or "--heads" respectively (using both means that it shows tags and heads, but not other random references under the refs/ subdirectory). To do automatic tag object dereferencing, use the "-d" or "--dereference" flag, so you can do git show-ref --tags --dereference to get a listing of all tags together with what they dereference. FILES
.git/refs/*, .git/packed-refs SEE ALSO
git-for-each-ref(1), git-ls-remote(1), git-update-ref(1), gitrepository-layout(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-SHOW-REF(1)