Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add a character after the first word/space on each line? Post 302964666 by martinsmith on Monday 18th of January 2016 01:08:06 AM
Old 01-18-2016
Thank you Don and R. Singh. The commands work perfectly as i was hoping to solve my problem. Thanks for the blank lines solution as well. Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add new line character

Hello All, I want to add new line character to each of the line '\n'.what is the unix command i can use to do that.File is like below a|b|c c|d|f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of the 7th character of each line if this is a space

I have a text file like this ... B 16 1.340E+05 A 18 3.083E+02 Wu123 1.365E+02 ... I would like to get rid of the 7th character of each line if this is a space character. Thank you, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

greping word after new line character

how grep all user from the below looking file: User_Alias ADMIN1 = horacel, matthes, caseyl, alexl2, \ jackl, johnnyzh, maheshm, jihuih, davidw, \ christh, williaml,jasminez User_Alias ADMIN2 = tomc, apitssc, fengh, guh, kail,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojit123
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a word every other line

hey guys, How to add a line to every other line, means adding a line to the above of all the lines of a file? tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

add only one space after each word in a string

hi, I have this string: a="abc def ghi jkl mno pqr" how can I display this to: abc def ghi jkl mno pqr # only one space each (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line character and add space to convert into fixed width file

I have a file with different record length. The file as to be converted into fixed length by appending spaces at the end of record. The length should be calculated based on the record with maximum length in the file. If the length is less than the max length, the spaces should be appended... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies
slalsd.f(3)							      LAPACK							       slalsd.f(3)

NAME
slalsd.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine slalsd (UPLO, SMLSIZ, N, NRHS, D, E, B, LDB, RCOND, RANK, WORK, IWORK, INFO) SLALSD uses the singular value decomposition of A to solve the least squares problem. Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine slalsd (characterUPLO, integerSMLSIZ, integerN, integerNRHS, real, dimension( * )D, real, dimension( * )E, real, dimension( ldb, * )B, integerLDB, realRCOND, integerRANK, real, dimension( * )WORK, integer, dimension( * )IWORK, integerINFO) SLALSD uses the singular value decomposition of A to solve the least squares problem. Purpose: SLALSD uses the singular value decomposition of A to solve the least squares problem of finding X to minimize the Euclidean norm of each column of A*X-B, where A is N-by-N upper bidiagonal, and X and B are N-by-NRHS. The solution X overwrites B. The singular values of A smaller than RCOND times the largest singular value are treated as zero in solving the least squares problem; in this case a minimum norm solution is returned. The actual singular values are returned in D in ascending order. This code makes very mild assumptions about floating point arithmetic. It will work on machines with a guard digit in add/subtract, or on those binary machines without guard digits which subtract like the Cray XMP, Cray YMP, Cray C 90, or Cray 2. It could conceivably fail on hexadecimal or decimal machines without guard digits, but we know of none. Parameters: UPLO UPLO is CHARACTER*1 = 'U': D and E define an upper bidiagonal matrix. = 'L': D and E define a lower bidiagonal matrix. SMLSIZ SMLSIZ is INTEGER The maximum size of the subproblems at the bottom of the computation tree. N N is INTEGER The dimension of the bidiagonal matrix. N >= 0. NRHS NRHS is INTEGER The number of columns of B. NRHS must be at least 1. D D is REAL array, dimension (N) On entry D contains the main diagonal of the bidiagonal matrix. On exit, if INFO = 0, D contains its singular values. E E is REAL array, dimension (N-1) Contains the super-diagonal entries of the bidiagonal matrix. On exit, E has been destroyed. B B is REAL array, dimension (LDB,NRHS) On input, B contains the right hand sides of the least squares problem. On output, B contains the solution X. LDB LDB is INTEGER The leading dimension of B in the calling subprogram. LDB must be at least max(1,N). RCOND RCOND is REAL The singular values of A less than or equal to RCOND times the largest singular value are treated as zero in solving the least squares problem. If RCOND is negative, machine precision is used instead. For example, if diag(S)*X=B were the least squares problem, where diag(S) is a diagonal matrix of singular values, the solution would be X(i) = B(i) / S(i) if S(i) is greater than RCOND*max(S), and X(i) = 0 if S(i) is less than or equal to RCOND*max(S). RANK RANK is INTEGER The number of singular values of A greater than RCOND times the largest singular value. WORK WORK is REAL array, dimension at least (9*N + 2*N*SMLSIZ + 8*N*NLVL + N*NRHS + (SMLSIZ+1)**2), where NLVL = max(0, INT(log_2 (N/(SMLSIZ+1))) + 1). IWORK IWORK is INTEGER array, dimension at least (3*N*NLVL + 11*N) INFO INFO is INTEGER = 0: successful exit. < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value. > 0: The algorithm failed to compute a singular value while working on the submatrix lying in rows and columns INFO/(N+1) through MOD(INFO,N+1). Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: September 2012 Contributors: Ming Gu and Ren-Cang Li, Computer Science Division, University of California at Berkeley, USA Osni Marques, LBNL/NERSC, USA Definition at line 179 of file slalsd.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.2 Tue Sep 25 2012 slalsd.f(3)