Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue in shell script Post 302964596 by bhupeshchavan on Saturday 16th of January 2016 11:02:20 AM
Old 01-16-2016
Issue in shell script

Code:
item,quantity,unit price,total
tea,1,1,1
coffee,3,4,12
sugar,5,2.5,12.5
tea,2,1,3
coffee,2,4,8

i have got the above file with following questions:
need to get the total value: which i got using :
Code:
a=0
for b in `cut -f4 -d ',' log`
do
c=`echo $a + $b | bc`
a=$c
done
echo "$a and $c"

2. highest selling item in terms of quantity?
3.most orders item?

guys can you please with the same.

---------- Post updated at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:11 PM ----------

Code:
a=0
for b in `cut -f4 -d ',' log`
do
c=`echo $a + $b | bc`
a=$c
done
echo "Total sales for today is : $a"

cut -f1 -d ',' log |grep -v item| sort -u >> 1
for a in `cat 1`
do
touch $a
done

for a in `cat log`
do
b=`echo $a|cut -f1 -d ','`
c=`grep $b 1| wc -l`
if [ $c -ge 1 ]
then
echo $a >> $b
fi
done

for a in `cat 1`
do
c=0
for b in `cat $a |cut -f2 -d ','`
do
d=`echo $b + $c | bc` #expr $b + $c`
c=$d
done
echo "$a quantity with : $c" >> bhu_out
done
f=`cut -f2 -d ":" bhu_out | sort -r | head -1`
g=`grep $f bhu_out | cut -f1 -d ' '`
h=`grep $f bhu_out | cut -f2 -d ':'`
echo "$g is the highest selling item with quantity : $h"

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with a shell script

Hi All, I have an issue in writing the shell script to install a webserver on UNIX system. My shell script look something like this. ------------------------------------------------------------ echo "start of the script" #! /bin/sh cd /home/path echo | setup.hp -is:javaconsole -console... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with shell Script file

Hi, I created the following shell script file : bash-3.00$ more Unlock_Statistics1.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh ORACLE_SID=prsal02; export ORACLE_SID NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8; export NLS_LANG sqlplus -s /nolog << EOF connect / as sysdba ; set serveroutput on size 1000000; execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalpan.pota
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with the shell script

hi , this script was devloped by somebody whome I dont know way back # cat run_ucid.sh #!/bin/csh # run_ucid.sh # # This is a simple shell script that will start an application in # the background and restart the application if it stops. Upon # termination an email message is sent and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with following issue using shell script

Hi Folks, I am looking for a script where that should show the progress bar while running a process Ex: while copying a file of size say 2 GB it should start the process as (0 %) and at the end it should show (100%) Thanks in Advance Phani. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanivarma
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script emailing issue

Hi, Im writing a shell script: #!/bin/bash #Send process which has exceeded 25% # echo 'pri pid user nice pcpu command' > /export/home/tjmoore/file2 # if ps -eo pri,pid,user,nice,pcpu,comm | awk '{if($5 >= 25)print $0}' >> /export/home/tjmoore/file2 2>/dev/null # # # then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jay02
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in TC Shell Script

I have a script in TC shell, for some reason its not working. I'm trying to kick off a script if there are any files in a particular directory "/sample/test3" Can anyone point out the issue in the same #!/usr/bin/tcsh while true do if ls /sample/test3 >& /dev/null ; then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaugeta
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with shell script

I found a post from a user requesting help rounding numbers. The script provided by Scrutinizer works fine most of the time but it errors out when trying to round these numbers: 30224939 50872456 20753012 They have in common, a zero in the second digit from left to right. Can someone help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dennis_Ayala
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in shell script variables

Hi, I have a file at $HOME/t.txt, below is file content cat $HOME/t.txt CUSTOMER_${REGION}.out Am using this file content in one script $HOME/samp.sh, below is the script #!/bin/bash REGION=USA x=`cat ${HOME}/t.txt` echo $x Am getting following output.. CUSTOMER_${REGION}.out ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shieksir
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script issue

Below is my script. However when i run it, i get the below error ./dummy.sh: line 27: syntax error: unexpected end of file #!/bin/bash while : do read -r INPUT_STRING case $INPUT_STRING in test) echo "Please enter id no : " read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandraprakash
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Issue - Shell Script

Hi, I am beginner in shell scripting. I have written a script to parse file(s) having large number of lines each having multiple comma separated strings. But it seems like script is very slow. It took more than 30mins to parse a file with size 120MB (523564 lines), below is the script code ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrandec85
4 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)